Handy alerts to help reduce strain on the grid this winter

Sorry, what do you mean? Ahh you mean costing you electricty?
Yes it will so HC/HP is pointless as it is for the majority of people.

I think I have made the point before but paying monthly by DD often means that you are putting the money to their account rather than it staying in yours for a goodly part of the year. I prefer to pay the bill bimonthly when presented. I can estimate the amount in advance based on historical data maintained in my spreadsheet and from the smart meter app to ensure sufficient funds are in the account to meet the bill payment due date.

Sorry, being brought up in the east end of london, with frozen windows, stews because we were poor and only having hand me downs, doesnā€™t endear me to going back there because the idiots running the globe are squabbling, Now, my luck changed and iā€™m living in Franceā€¦ just bought a heat pump to replace the log burner, and a Hybrid to save the planetā€¦ now, the idiots in charge canā€™t keep their water suppiies up when it gets hot for 10 day in a row, have half their nuclear power stations down for repair, when gas prices were seen to be rising a year ago, long before Russia were massing in the Eastā€¦ I for one will not freeze for that idiot Z to keep wanting to continue fighting, i will park the Hybrid and use my old transit diesel, to go collect logs and get the log burner up and running again this winter, thereā€™s plenty of derelict forests around me, clearing some of the fallen wood will reduce the chance of it catching fire when the next few sunny days arrive next yearā€¦ iā€™m not into virtue signalingā€¦ EDF to restart all its nuclear reactors this winter - minister | Reuters

If you are referring to France, they didnā€™t abandon the need to keep supplies going though, did they. They imported cheap electricity from the excess Spain was producing.

I read yesterday; UK had supplied electricity to France recently
By

Rachel Morison

8 July 2022 at 18:16 CEST

](Bloomberg - Are you a robot?)
](Bloomberg - Are you a robot?)

Rock-bottom Nordic power prices this weekend wonā€™t benefit the UK as France mops up flows to ease a supply crunch.

Britain is set to import cheap electricity from Norway, Belgium and the Netherlands on Saturday, which would usually lead to lower prices. But a heatwave is boosting demand in France and drawing supplies, which means the UK will pass on the power there rather than using it at home.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-08/uk-misses-out-on-cheap-nordic-power-as-france-sucks-in-supplies

It will be onteresting now Russia has turned off Gazproms pipeline.

Heā€™s not an idiot.

Iā€™m not a supporter of any armed conflict, but in the case of Ukraine I canā€™t see that they have any option but to defend their country. Putin is the problem.

The people of Ukraine have much bigger problems than worrying about any of us feeling cold.

3 Likes

I am not a supporter of any conflict either,
and iā€™m no expert, totally opposite, on this or other conflicts, i know nothing more than i am told
I thought it amusing a few years ago to hear a clown who played a president, became oneā€¦ Reagan was a cowboy, so why not a clown?
Suddenly, Ukraine became the topic to worry about after the ronaā€¦

During my 69 years, i have only heard Russia is the enemy. It must be destroyed
I know nothing but what the rectangular fish tank tells meā€¦ But. other sources say different things

i invite you to have a read of an article by Peter Hitchens, maybe not everyoneā€™s cup of tea, but he does seem to be a bit more informed and puts the whole conflict into a different perspective, not seen on the
Z the hero propaganda channels?
https://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2022/08/august-is-a-dangerous-month-the-forgotten-history-of-ukraines-sudden-independence.html

Also, there was an agreement in April to stop the fighting, but it was scuppered.

As Hitchens puts it
a problem greater than N.I.

What if us Brits living across Europe were denied residence after Brexit?
Brexit took years to sort out the nitty gritty, and they made a total cock upā€¦
Us Brits in Europe could have been holed up in enclaves, or individual homesā€¦ and had nationalist venom poured on us
Ok, weā€™re not likely to be bombed out for years on end.
So IF, Hitchens is rightā€¦ Millions of Russians, living in Ukraine as a Russian state, suddenly stranded in these disputed regions, having nationalist scorn poured on them and being attacked.
Should they be abandoned?

We are told whom is the enemy, whom to hate, whom to cheer?

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure that is the caseā€¦
The Russian peoples are not unlike any other in the European continent - Russia per se does not need to be destroyed but the awful regime controlling it perhaps.
Gorbachev did a good job dismantling the USSR and making the world a safer place - his bewilderment at how Russia has since morphed into something terrible again attested to that. Iā€™m almost certain that a significant majority of ordinary Russians feel that way too and abhor the stigma being meted out on them by Putinā€™s dreadful actions in their name.

no argument from here,
the Russian people probably hate what they have as a leadership.
Sting, sung ā€œDo the Russians love their children tooā€

but we do not know Putin. only what we are told to know?
Gorby set the ball rolling and Russia is probably better off for it
All western products are/were availableā€¦ until a few months agoā€¦ and they took to them like ducks to water

a few yeas ago, i was talking with a 23yr old girl in Vladivostokā€¦ she was into everything western, Shelby Mustang Cobra was here dream car
she started a business of stained glass and is doing really well nowā€¦ wasā€¦ as her income was dollars
she had no interest in the old systemā€¦ just her business thriving

Those over 60 possibly rue the day Gorby let go of the reignsā€¦

how do we know what really goes through the population of any country?

The whole world has sanctions against Russia, and are suffering for their efforts
and still the conflict continuesā€¦ seems to be a well thought out strategy?

Russia gives ā€œsecure passageā€ to the atomic inspectors, the MSM say Russia is bombing the place
turns out, the conflict is 30 miles awayā€¦
Z is bellowing nuclear disaster is imminent, the inspectors are there and not agreeing?

itā€™s a mess, and weā€™re being mushroomed and gaslighted
i doubt i will live long enough to see what history has to say about 2020 and whatā€™s going on now

1 Like

Another thread going totally political instead of handy alerts to take the strain off the grid.

Perhaps youā€™d prefer this political, non political handy tip to take the strain of the grid :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfAqmGRT6Z4

I followed Borisā€™s advice but bought a gas stove kettle. Ā£21 kettle on gas 1/4 of the price of the electrical one to boil.

so a totally political handy alert worked thenā€¦

Donā€™t see your point in that case :slightly_smiling_face:

It was about the kettle yes?

France to restart all nuclear reactors by winter ā€¦: France to restart all nuclear reactors by winter amid energy crunch ā€¢ FRANCE 24 English - YouTube

of course, but it was political ergo - a political suggestion - you canā€™t avoid politics entirely in day to day lives.

Consider this ā€œsand batteryā€ - it needs political will to achieve and is beyond the pockets of ordinary people. Without political will, which will only come from people knowing about it and pushing boundaries with politicians, it will not likely happen.
Have a look.

The global energy crisis is starting to really hurt, and the prospects for winter fuel prices are starting to look pretty bleak for millions of people in the Northern hemisphere. So how do we get ourselves off our hopeless dependence on fossil fuels? And if the alternative is intermittent renewables then how are we going to keep our homes constantly warm during the colder months? Perhaps our friends in Scandinavia can provide some answersā€¦

1 Like

Seen it already. Considering cutting out a suspended timber floor and installing a sand battery in the space under the floor. Currently looking into permitted development rights locally UK, for solar thermal.

but others might not have hence the reason to postā€¦

1 Like

What??? Price of electric kettle in France