Has anyone else had these issues with their French bank(s) ... or is it me?

The limit is set according to regular amounts going in. I used to make transfers from uk when needed and my limit was 200 a week, now I have my pension paid in France each month, and they have upped the limit.

My limit cannot be to do with regular payments going into my account as it only receives money as and when I need to transfer some. There are no regular payments.

Thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m saying. Thatā€™s how my account used to be, and because payments were not regular, CA gave me a lower limit. Now they know my pension is coming in each month, they have raised the limit. But that might just be CA, and it might just be me!

No, itā€™s not what you are saying. I have a limit that is so high itā€™s irrelevant despite not having regular incoming payments. In my case there canā€™t be a link. It could be down to individual banks.

When we were first hereā€¦ on and offā€¦working on our ruinā€¦ CA set a limit on our Debit Cardā€¦ which was not sufficient (lots of purchases at Mr Bricolage etc)ā€¦if the card failedā€¦ the shops were always happy to accept a chequeā€¦ but I was NOT happy.

Discussed with CA and they upped my weekly/monthly limit to suit our needsā€¦ no problemsā€¦ the limit is now too high for normal needs but I donā€™t mindā€¦ as from time to timeā€¦ I can splurgeā€¦:innocent:

Same here Stella, if we know weā€™re going to have an expensive month we just call CA and they will up the limit, simples.

I can only speak of my experience with the BNP and other banks may be different. I never use the bank tellers, as my bank has a machine that takes cash deposits and a different one that reads and takes cheques. Both machines give receipts. My cheques are credited the next working day, as is my cash. So, Iā€™m happy. However and hereā€™s the rub, if Iā€™m not near my local bank I cannot always find a BNP bank with the required machines, in which case, it becomes annoying and I usually keep the cheques until I get home. This would be, of course, unsatisfactory to anyone who needs fast accesss to the cheque.

Furthermore, no-one takes coins any more, unless youā€™re a registered business. This is a pain, bearing in mind that I used to collect all of my change, at the end of the day, and save it for my granddaughter. It used to mount up quite quickly and I never really noticed any expense. That plan is now out of the window.

Marcā€¦ I gather my small change in a potā€¦ and use it every Sunday when the baker comes. By late morning, when I am buying my bread etcā€¦ his change pot has dwindled and he is always delighted to see meā€¦:wink:

1 Like

I didnā€™t know that banks no longer accept coins. I have about 100 euros of 1, 2 5 and 10 cents bagged up and ready to go to the bank - buggeršŸ˜­

Markā€¦ I also change some at our local Post Officeā€¦they are always happy with me, if it is around the time the ComitĆ© des FĆŖtes will be asking them for a ā€œfloatā€ for some eventā€¦ :innocent:

When Iā€™ve got too many coins I spend them at the self service checkout at Leclerc. It not only takes coins but adds them up for you too.

Are there not any of those machines over here that you used to get in English supermarkets that count your change and give you a voucher to spend?

And why have I suddenly got a cake next to my name? I donā€™t think its my birthday.

1 Like

There are in some supermarkets. Auchan in Poitiers has one.

Oh right, well thatā€™s good. At least you have a high limit!

1 Like

Unless you actually live in Normandy/Brittany if you wish to pay in a cheque you will have to post it to Caen.
You can make withdrawals via the ATMā€™s throughout france, but paying is another matter.
Also, they sell insurance, which is all in French, even though one would imagine that, like the banking, it would be in English.
Trying to use the breakdown facility on our motor policy was so appalling that we cancelled all our policies and went to a Mutuelle in our nearest town.

frenchie right here, I work in a french bank and I am a Customer of HSBC France. The most compliant satisfying bank for the moment. You also have CrƩdit du Nord, BNP Paribas and SociƩtƩ GƩnƩrale where the word Customer still means something in France

As banks are franchises it is only as good as itā€™s management I guess. We were with CA but moved to CMB and have had no problems. The final straw with CA was when I had to see the manager over a discrepancy on the account. She told me that the bank never makes mistakes!!! and when I persisted she lost her temper and threw all the papers on her desk up in the air.

Hello i have problem with nickel bank in france. i have transfered 3000 euro to my niece nickel account in france from uk account. But unfortunately i had an emergency and asked my niece to return the money 72 hours later. But the bank has blocked the money for verification they said. i have sent to them.all the proofs of the transfer but still they block my money since beginning of july. Who should i contact for help?