Has anyone tried the free Windows 10 update?

Updated my self build computer from Windows 8.1, took 1 1/2 hours in total and not a single problem since. Everything is working perfectly and I have even had messages asking me to upgrade things like Bitdefender (it was working perfectly anyway) to a version that better supports Windows 10, apart from that every other bit of software I run on this machine (and I have a lot of them) runs perfectly. Not any faster than Windows 8.1 on my machine but still impressed with the stability so far. :-)

Clive ... After problems going back to Windows 7 I've just re-downloaded Windows 10 and amended the registry - Money works ...

This is where I found the advice ... https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2015/07/28/windows-10-compatibility-with-microsoft-money/ Is that where you found it too?

That's right, Bruce, obstinate little application that Bing. I actually unpinned the search from the bottom task bar as I don't use it. This tool uses Bing regardless of what you set up as default search engine, and there is a reason for this. Cortana is going to change our lives apparently, you just talk to the app and it answers all your questions as per the TV advertising, and Cortana only works with Bing. So if you ever want to use Cortana you can't uninstall or disable Bing. I suspect this will change in due course (Google etc will probably object as they did over earlier Windows versions defaulting to use IE). I am quite capable of typing in my searches and prefer conversations with humans to struggling to make myself understood orally by a machine, so don't intend to use Cortana or Bing and will remove both from my main laptops, however this involves editing the registry and I don't offer that as advice to anyone who hasn't done so before - anyone who knows their way around the registry will find guidance on the web, at their own risk! If anyone finds an alternative way of disabling Bing, please let us all know - it is early days and people are already dismantling the launch version of Win 10 so no doubt lots of useful tweaks will be published over coming weeks.

Have tried the patch to amend Registry but to no avail. I suspect this worked well if IE11 was installed rather than Edge. I wonder if I am doing it correctly. Cannot download IE11 either.

Also, I appear to have lost most of my App tiles from the start menu, literally have just 6 showing!

Have tried to rollback to 8.1 but am informed I no longer have the necessary files'so, is proving a bit of a dosaster especially as I am using Money 2005 every day.

Read back a bit and you will see I had audio problems too. I had to basically start all over again, even thought my speakers had given up. Bit of reconfiguring, but once only, and back again.

Chrome has been odd for weeks. David Gay and I both had issues about the same time. They went away, then back just before the upgrade, at present it seems fine except that it will no longer let me see my immediate history every time I need to look. So, I don't really associate the two.

Anyway, 12 or so days in and now no problems I can see. I agree it might take time to get rid of glitches, but live with 8.1?

Yep, got it on release day. I have now rolled back to 8.1. First off, I loved it. I liked the way it looked and worked. I liked the new improvements, like 99% of people I hate the windows 8 start button and have been using a plugin to make it resemble and work like windows 7 from the start button. My issues with Windows 10 started on day 2.

After restarting my pc from sleep mode from the night before, I had no audio. I have a high end MSI Gaming 5 mobo with Realtek audio and Intel HD and connect with an HDMI cable. After hours of reinstalling drivers, rolling back drivers, attempting to update drivers I rebooted the system and audio worked. Later that day the pc hibernated and when I restarted it, hey presto same problem. After doing a search it seems I was not the only one suffering from this with Win10. A workaround is to 'downgrade' your audio setting from say 32bit to 24 or 16bit in the options dropdown in the playback devices window so that your drivers work with Win10. However the no audio on wakeup still happens for which I had to either reboot or create a batch file I could run every time (which I did as it was quicker).

That was problem one, annoying but dealt with. Second was Chrome became laggy (another annoyance others are having apparently) and I run vmware for virtual desktops which I use not on a daily basis so the first time I tried to start up my VM it just stuck and my whole windows system slowed down. I updated vmware but to no avail, it was just grabbing 99% of my 16GB system memory and nothing else would work. Only option was a hard reboot. So I installed the free VIrtualbox from Oracle and tried setting up a VM from that, same issue.

Those issues were my main ones and there were other niggles, like GBs (yes GBs not MBs) of almost daily updates for windows and in windows 10 you have no options about installing updates or not. Apparently, it helps them help you by spotting and replacing bugs quicker but it means that you cannot switch off or pick and choose which updates to have and not all Windows updates are always suitable for every machine. So I have rolled back to Windows 8 and will give it another 6 months or so for them to sort out the niggles before I upgrade even if I have to pay.

Great - glad that it works :-)

Am going to go back to 10 now ... I can't find a patch for backup not working on 7!

Hi Carol. Found the patch and sorted. Thanks.

Hi Carol. Where did you find the patch please. I am being asked to reinstall IE 6 to make it work properly!
Thanks in advance.

The actual installation was fine but found that GoogleApps sync would not let me send an email from Outlook. Found a patch and all is good with the world - Except Money!!

be aware if you have used family safety in Windows 8 .... it works differently in Win10 Only realised after I upgraded meaning my teenage boys have had a field day in days i was not aware of the change

Thanks Carol ... I've found a patch for Money on 10 ... but I can't run backup on Windows 7 now!

Downloaded onto 3 computers and so far we are very satisfied with the performance and have no complaints.
To Carol note there is a program called Money in Windows 10 for financial news which may be where your corruption has come from. Suggest you look for another accounting program may be Serif have one, if you want to use 10.

Hi Diana,

I recently upgraded and it went very smoothly just like you said. the only bug I have is my Lexmark printer, it will scan but no longer prints, I get the error message that the printer is not connected which of course is nonsense, I've done all the troubleshooting and compatibility tests but it just wont print, hopefully an update sometime will fix it.

I have a question about the "easy to remove (like the tile panel which pops up when you hit Start)" Is there a tutorial to do this please?

Wondering whether somebody may be able to help me ... I downloaded Windows 10 last week - quite liked it too! But when I went to use Microsoft Money it wouldn't work - panic! I reverted back to Windows 7, and Money worked ... phew! However I did find that every single email in Mail had duplicated and the duplicated message was unreadable - no idea why it did that?

Realised this morning that my scheduled backup wasn't running so I checked and it wasn't set - it had been before I downloaded 10. Now when I try to set up backup I get right to the end and try to 'Save settings and run backup' I get this message .... 'The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with. (0x80041321)'

Maybe it'll be easier just to go back to Windows 10 - especially as I've now found a patch that makes Money work on 10 ... Does anybody have any ideas please?

I too opted for wading in early on this one. Took precautions like backing everything up and making a bootable disc for 8.1. To my surprise, unlike 8.1, it installed effortlessly. Those on metered connections (satellite or whatever) should bear in mind it is a tad under 4 gb. to download plus any updates that may be necessary. Talking of updates I was relieved to see that the odd bits of software that did require updating did so automatically before I even had a chance to try them.

Having used win 10 for a while now it seems to be very stable and easy to find your way around. Only niggles I had was that I don't like the search bar next to the start button and the start menu was a little messy for my liking.But having said that so far I haven't found anything to really grumble about.

For those that want to change things around a bit or who aren't sure where to find things you may find this of help. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-tips-and-tricks

Brilliant, love it compared to the other version....very impressed with it ....

Forgot to mention,i use mozilla firefox as my browser it's BRILL

Having followed your advice Diana, all went well but when I tried to use the "search web and windows", it still came up as Bing?

Hi Steve,

I installed on 30 July no probs just finding my way round again and uploaded latest software for my 10 years old Hp

HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One Printer Everthing ok so far so good
Hope you all have same results
Ken Tdd

I opened Google and then opened Edge's settings. Advanced settings, then under "Search in the address bar with" click on Add new and Google should be listed. Even if you have opened Google.co.uk it will probably opt for google.fr in its effort to be patronisingly helpful, but that works equally well. I haven't got rid of Bing completely, but it no longer does searching by default, Google does. I then made Google my home page and it opens automatically at startup and when I click on the home icon, by selecting under "open with" the "selected page or pages" and then "Custom" and putting in google's address. "Open new tabs with" is set to blank page.

Looking forward to reading advice from others here, too!