Have We Had The Best Years?

I guess my father learnt how to repair cars from his army days. The breakdowns caused a lot of arguments though! We had a relative with a reliable car that we were allowed to borrow for holidays.

2 Likes

My father was given a prewar Armstrong-Siddeley when he was 13 or 14, so in the mid 1950s and drove around in it on my grandparents’ land then on the road once he got a licence. I have seen pictures of it, it was beautiful.
I have the sphinx mascot for the bonnet somewhere.

2 Likes

You have it I think V’, a black one and a silver one He had, I have found models of both, they sit on a shelf here, happy memories :hugs:

1 Like

Dad served an appreticeship just before the war Chris, enlisted at the outbreak, in REME for the duration, including Dunkirk, never talked about it, but on a ‘Hol’ we went to see the War Graves etc, when I was about 10.

Same here Bill, he never talked about his Normandy holiday and I asked his brother about it a year ago and apparently he never spoke about it to his immediate family either. I don’t suppose that was unusual though.

No Chris, I had a Great Uncle though, who could be ‘pumped’ a bit about His time in WW1 tanks, that was 'orrifying to hear as a kid!