Have you had a Magical Moment

Depends what you did with it after :wink:

Exactly the same here. Lots of blossom, very few cherries. I think a late frost may be responsible.

Best magic moments, extended.
I’m a fool for close encounters with, quite raw, Nature.
Camping, yesterday night, in the storm, beside the elegant Vilaine,
on the way to meet the ladies of the Impots Dept.

The wind was already high, before I threw down my ‘2 second’, popup tent. 2 hours to get it back in its bag.
Carefully NOT near any trees, and not too close to the river.

I had enough sense to be nowhere near any growing thing, taller than a couple of feet.
Somewhere behind the ablutions block might have been better.
Gale force 8? 12? woke me up at about 3 am.

It was exactly, exactly, as if a small cow, or a large dog, had sat on my tent and me. I felt it shift its weight, maybe it was a human!
Half asleep, I shouted “soddoff you dumb bastard”,
but it didn’t go away.

It was just the gale, pushing so hard against my tent, that the bulge inwards, was huge, leaving small space for me.
Far bigger than my tent, and it felt very solid.

The Vilaine did not flood over the site, although it might have.

I am alive, and the impots ladies were charming.
They sent me to the social security lady, also, in another building, close by, who made everything perfect.
She will fix my name spelling, on all official docs, Tuesday.

3 Likes

That’s really Beautiful, how lovely :blush:

1 Like

Yes, big gardens for almost everyone, ours was quite huge, there was not quite enough space to squeeze in one more prefab. Always the sense of its being a temporary home, I think my mother hoped to move to a ‘real house’ one day. She was not happy. There was little privacy, everyone’s grief or delight unless silent or with curtains drawn, might be shared. Walls very thin, yes asbestos, impossible to heat, or cool. There was some ill feeling for prefab dwellers, ‘don’t play with the prefab kids’ depending on location, as always for Brits, class division by home style. The luxuries of a human sized bath, with hot water coming out of taps, an indoor toilet, plus electric gadgets in a large kitchen, provided a good selection of magic moments.

1 Like

But it wasn’t virgin snow any more after you had landed a helicopter and walked around was it?

1 Like

Before my old farmhouse was habitable, we used to sleep in a caravan on site. One night I was woken up by a barn owl and looked outside. Dark, no light pollution no noise, I looked up and saw the Milky Way in all its majesty stretched across the sky, took my breath away.
One of many magical moments in that house.

5 Likes

It is  pretty impressive when you see it properly.

4 Likes

Had a wonderful night-time session here, with some astronomers (family and friends). I felt rather smug with their exclamations of what they could see from my terrace - things they could not see so clearly (if at all) from their UK homes. :grin::grin:

1 Like

Two photos! Before and after the new buds.

1 Like

A lovely rose, thank you for sharing …

1 Like

TWO MORE MAGIC MOMENTS. 1)
A pine, garden seat. With a bodged, hand crafted look. An old grandfather, with a chopper, hewed it out of a garden tree trunk, a couple of hundred years ago, for his family.
So they said, in the Pine Warehouse.
I didn’t believe them.
Over the last 40 years, it surprised me by never once, falling to bits.
the amateur, DIY enthusiasm in it, its scruffy soul, is evident.
A temp. fix had to be tried.
One last bash with my longest, no rust nails, before it would be axed and chopped up.
It had no nails at all, when it was made.
It took just one joint repair, they were all breaking apart, but fixing one corner, straightened the whole thing.
A few, long, no rust nails, and it is strongly mended.

1 Like

MAGIC MOMENT 2)
Beautiful kingfisher, attempted a ‘red arrows’ sideways roll, to escape from the cat, through the gap of the ‘hinged side’ of the open, balcony door. Got its head jammed, and could not reverse?
Didn’t see it, until I had my hand on the door, to close it, and saw bulging dark eyes shining. Poor fellow.
I was sure I had broken his neck. Very gently extricated him, he wasn’t stuck at all, he just thought that he was.
Held him, up, away from interested cat.
Very still, no movement at all, for five? ten? minutes
Suddenly, two hard kicks!
Opened my hands and with a silvery blue flash, he was gone. So fast!
Perfect moment!

4 Likes

"Very still, no movement at all, for five? ten? minutes…":sweat_smile:

A ‘stunning’ account, Jeanette! :face_with_head_bandage::laughing:

1 Like

I had just come back from the dentist and five minutes later I had a delivery of flowers!

3 Likes

Couldn’t put him down, if he was injured, but still alive, he might have flopped away, as just cat bait. I was pretty sure he was very dead. But birds do fall down, as IF dead, when they are very frightened, as you know. Sometimes they recover after an hour or so in a dark place.
A blue jay dropped into a stream, nearby, another day, a buzzard was hoping to carry him off, the jay didn’t look injured, just fainted, in fear. but he would have drowned. I fished him out, he recovered similarly. :innocent:

2 Likes

Wonderful sight just now.

Grr! this does not show the firery colours

6 Likes

Lily,
Wow. Gr8 pic.

1 Like