Having an old dog in one's life

Thank you Helen. I will see if they have that in the homeopathy section of the chemist tomorrow.

Do you make a compress?

She is in pain but I don’t think it itches.

1 Like

I think it can be bought ready prepared as eye drops…

I always like to have it in several forms…soft tabs to be taken internally and also the liquid form at 30c and 200c (and I also usually have mother tincture but that’s not for direct application)

I don’t use it as a compress…at 30c in a liquid spray I just misted it over my eye area…

If I know how something works for myself then I feel confident that I know how it will work for them…

When the area is so sore and sensitive anyway then I try to find the least invasive method of application for me…which to my mind is misting the area and drops into the corner of the eye…none of which hurt or sting…

I remember one of my grandkids getting an eye infection once and his mum dutifully took him to the docs…the prescription eye drops made him scream and caused him agony and his eye swelled up 10 times worse…my daughter was horrified and rang up and complained and she was prescribed something else…no apology though…

She asked me what I thought so I just said that I thought maybe euphrasia would be far gentler and his eye infection resolved quickly and easily once she got some…

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly, or mites.

Just been and had a scan done. It’s a brain mass. Some young dogs may never get to be old dogs :sob::sob::sob::broken_heart::broken_heart:. They are doing a biopsy to see if it is cancer. Just spoken to the vet again and she did say if it is not cancer it will heal. Please keep all your fingers crossed for Lexi.

10 Likes

So sorry to hear that Marijke, let’s hope something can be done, sending hugs xx

3 Likes

@Mark Thank you xx

Thanks @SuePJ that was a moving read.

This is a very timely thread. We took one of our dogs to the vet on Tuesday for the final trip. The vet was great and gave him a large dose of morphine while still in the car but still. Not a fun trip.

3 Likes

Oh my goodness that must have come as a real shock :cry:

How long do you have to wait for the results of the biopsy…???

Keeping all our fingers and paws crossed here for her and sending you all love and hugs across the ethers xxx :pray::heartbeat::pray::heartbeat::pray: xxx

Such a poignant series of posts, we went through this last year with Issa, our Maltese, who’d been kept alive by veterinary science for several years after catching a virus on a visit to Provence. My OH had always had Maltese, but decided that to get another would be a ‘replacement’ and it would be better to get a very different breed. So we did and (for once! :wink: ) she made the right decision.

Gigi, our now one year old miniature poodle (a descendent of many champions with by far the longest family tree of any members of our family) is a constant source of pleasure (mais trop, trop mignonne) but she’s also so different to a Maltese, that thankfully one never thinks of making comparisons.

Gigi scowling at the cats

6 Likes

That was exactly what happened to our neighbour and her dog. Nana had been treated for cancer but this time it was time to say goodbye.

Oh Marijke I am so sorry, but as you say some dogs have the luck of the draw and others don’t.
We are wishing Lexi well.

Such a very, very French dog. She’s absolutely lovely.

1 Like

Will do. And will be thinking of you overnight. Also, some dogs respond very well to cancer treatment. They don’t seem to suffer the same side-effects as humans. So, obviously much better if it’s benign, but also, even if it is cancer, Lexi may still make old bones.

1 Like

And sorry to hear your news Caroline. They always go before us. That is very hard. Thinking of you.

1 Like

So sorry… and so sad to say goodbye.

Our dog hates going into the vets, so when the time comes (which I hope won’t be soon) it’s good to know some vets will step out of their surgery to give them a less stressed end.d

1 Like

@Caroline I am so so sorry for your loss xxx

1 Like

@SuePJ Thank you so much xxx

Yes it was cancer for our dog too. They give you all this comfort and fun during their lives but at the end your job really starts and the balance of what to do and for how long is never easy. Your friend has my sympathy

If you have a good vet who knows the dog it shouldn’t be a problem. I didn’t even have to ask. Mind you he used to get so stressed as soon as we opened the door. The vet called him ‘un sacré emmerdeur’ ! But in the nicest possible way

1 Like