Having an old dog in one's life

In March I took our dog to the vet, she gave him morphine and more morphine in tablet form for me to give him. Both she and I didn’t think he’d last the week. He wasn’t in pain, just very weak. I carried him carefully home. Then, I think to prepare myself mentally and because my response to emotion is either action or eating, I went into the garden to dig a hole. The next day, dog appeared, tail wagging, eyes shiney, demanding breakfast and exercise. He had another 3 and a half months of quality, though not fully healthy, life before we decided it really was time. That experience will mean I will give the animal the extra day, just to see, from now on.

I’m glad you were there to reassure him right to the end. That’s one of the best things we can do for our animals, or any member of our family.

2 Likes

My dog was 16 and a half and one day she couldn’t stand up. The vet came to us.

1 Like

Sounds like the right end to a good life.

Fortunately we are not too far from Geneva here.

1 Like

I heard someone say it’s better (for the animal who is suffering from a condition which is intermittent but incurable) to take the final journey on a good day rather than a bad one. They have no sense of time, I believe, existing in a permanent present, so it’s not unkind to allow them to leave us like that.

It’s a consequence of having a pet. All being well (for its sake) it will leave us rather than the other way around.

4 Likes

Flaneur a tear rolled down my cheek as I read that. Supported someone dying and there were aspects of that.

If only a way could be found to protect people (eg from undue influence), I wish UK law could give people the transparent right to choose to leave on a good day.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, since then she is losing control of her bladder.
We have changed her feeding and walking times and have come up with an improvement.
She now sleeps in the sous-sol so she can get outside much quicker.

1 Like