Health Insurance Costs for Retirees

I really do appreciate ALL of your comments. When we lived in France for 15 years back in 2001 it was a very different story. I lived there full time and husband continued working in UK and visited every other weekend (perfect!!). On the downside I went down with the ‘Big C’ and had amazing treatment without really paying a penny… We made many mistakes and lost lots of money on selling two houses through absolute ignorance so we are determined that IF we do this all again (I am more keen than ‘him’!) we have to do it right and not make mistakes, especially not through ignorance… So - thanks for all your information - cannot thank you enough! This is a really difficult decision to make (not for me!) as it really is ‘the last throw of the dice’ in terms of that if it is a mistake and we don’t settle we are quite unlikely to be able to relocate back to the uk… Jane

2 Likes

This is a big step and you both need to be keen… so start persuading him… :wink: :wink:

If you can identify what he is “not sure of”… at least you know where to begin… :upside_down_face: :hugs:

I don’t understand your reaction. I just clarified what happened. Anyone is of course entitled to comment.

Of course they are James.
Perhaps I misread the intent behind your post and if I did, I apologise.

Hi James… I suspect you are correct in thinking that lack of a permanent address might well have caused the 3 month wait for CPAM. :wink: :wink:

Although, for the last of the pre-Brexit rush, addresses were relaxed a bit, I believe…

No problem

1 Like

May also be worth considering that those arriving this year are third country nationals and cannot apply for the Withdrawal Agreement CdS but instead have to go through the ‘standard’ immigration process. First step is applying to French Consulate for a long term visa followed by an interview in London, Manchester or another city that I can’t remember offhand. On arriving, an annual CdS visiteur can be applied for. After three years, proof of French language skills to A2 level is required together with proof of integration. Local Maires will apparently be consulted.

Thanks for the info Martyn… That is definitely an aspect that bothers me… Just the feeling of every year, maybe living in fear of of the annual visa being rejected - not sure I could cope with that. Does anybody know if in reality this happens often, and for what reason? If we are fulfilling all other requirement (income, health insurance etc) is it likely? For the record, we would be self-sufficient (luckily) and would be buying our home without a loan and wouldn’t be making any claims on the Government (again luckily!) that we know of anyway… Oh God, I am panicking now!! Thats the trouble with doing these things in your 60’s rather than 40’s (as before) - you lose your nerve!!! Again, thanks for your input. Jane

Jane… please do NOT worry.

Once the Visa is granted… unless you do something unlawful… you should have no problems whatsoever… in getting it renewed.

Thanks Stella - I needed to hear that, Thank you…

1 Like

Sadly France remains a fairly racist country. If you are younger, blacker, and poorer than the average you may well be endlessly quizzed (but not necessarily rejected). Otherwise relax.

Evening Jane me and husband brought a house in Dec to live in France permanently. Were semi-retired and are now in the process of jumping through hoops to get there not made any easier with COVID and Brexit. We had issues selling our house with Brexit , Xmas and Covid nightmare! Anyway were currently trying for Visa however due to covid that’s not happening at the moment for L TV & cost of removals isn’t cheap but easier than self move due to new paperwork ( brexit) ! you’ll need health insurance for visa not sure if S1 is OK instead we may have to go over when able as tourist first to get started stressful for all

Not sure you can get an S1 until you have left the UK (another catch 22!) and even if you do it still take a while to actually be registered with the French Health Service. So you will need full health insurance, not travel insurance ,for when you arrive.

1 Like

Were not able to use S1 not retired yet so private it is till can get onto system another way ,most insurance companies cheapest dies not include GP or repatriation try insurance this adds to the price of course

Use the insurance button on top bar to contact Fabien Pelessier an english speaking broker.

Thanks we’ve already chatted still expensive though and with the added requirements that go with the visa insurance it all adds up , travel insurance is not appropriate for full time unfortunately ,