Heating your home with a woodburner - what you need to know

This may be an example of thread drift but I’d really like information about what I heard yesterday!

A friend told me that you are only permitted to burn kiln-dried wood in the UK and that if you burn anything else you can be fined hundreds of pounds. This sounds really unlikely to me for several reasons but I’m not au fait with UK laws in this area at all. Can anyone enlighten me?

Interestingly, in France one can use/burn certain types of wooden pallets to help heat the home… but some types of wooden pallet are NOT allowed!

I seem to remember there was a lot of talk about this Angela, but as far as I’m aware it’s gone no further than that! But even if it was law it would be another bit of pointless legislation as there’s no one to carry out checks. The OH just told me there is legislation to stop the sale of wet wood under 2 cubic meters!

Its true, new rules passed Selling wood for domestic use in England - GOV.UK

Thanks Debbie - I had a feeling that legislation would be more likely to be focussed towards wet wood rather than specifying “kiln dried”, which is a very dodgy argument in terms of energy use…

1 Like

From the regs linked by Corona:

*Crates or trailer loads of wood

You do not need to get wood fuel sales of 2 cubic metres or more certified. You can include a note when you deliver the wood to explain it is dry.

Suppliers who sell wood in volumes of 2 cubic metres or more must provide customers with this notice that explains how to dry, store and check the moisture of the wood before it is used. This also applies to small-scale wood producers.

Sellers: rules in smoke control areas

You must inform customers that they can only use wood in an exempt appliance in a smoke control area.

For example, you could put a sign next to the fuels or tills, or post a message on your website for customers paying online.*

Its the ready to burn logo.

I’m reading through that now - thanks @Corona. Haven’t found any mention so far of the wood having to be kiln-dried, only having to be registered if suppliers are selling more than 2 cubic metres…

And we can totally rely on customers to follow everything to the letter :roll_eyes::thinking:

I have used many a log that tested less than 20% on the outside but when split again and tested was still higher moisture in the heart wood, very hit and mis IMO

since most wooden furniture in the UK is made from kiln dried sources, burning it to keep warm this water during a fuel poverty/economic crisis is probably going to be OK…

But what will you sit on or eat off once you have burnt your furniture :blush:

What about the usage side, @corona? The UK government guidance seems only to apply to supply. Can people really be fined if they don’t burn kiln-dried wood?

they eat at Macdo to keep warm :wink:

(It doesn’t say anything about kiln-dried in the gov bumpf… it just says the wood must be dry… and wood can be dried in a sunny, well-aired space … see below…)

If you sell wood in volumes of 2 cubic metres or more in England you must provide customers with this notice:

“This wood is not suitable for burning until it has been dried. You should not burn wood until it has a moisture content of 20% or less.

“Wet wood contains moisture which creates smoke and harmful particulates when burnt. As well as being harmful to your health and the environment, this can damage your stove and chimney and is an inefficient way to heat your home. Dry it in a sunny, well-aired space for at least two years, keeping rain off in the winter.

“Radial cracks and bark that comes off easily suggests wood that is ready for burning. Test the wood when you think it is ready for burning, ideally with a moisture meter. First calibrate the meter and then measure a freshly split surface to get the best reading.”

2 Likes

Technically you can be fined Angela, but once again there’s no one to police emissions on a regular basis. They only do something if you’re reported by a neighbour or a council official.

1 Like

Presumably that’s if you are burning wet wood? Following on from what @Stella said, wood that was naturally dried has always been recommended for burning before the concept of kiln-drying arrived.

1 Like

Forgot to say wet wood under 2 cubic meters legislation is aimed at petrol stations, small shops and any outlets that sell logs in bags, most of it is soaking wet and rubbish you wouldn’t want to burn.

1 Like

That makes perfect sense, Debby.

You’ve lost me… I thought the legislation/registration, re “ready to burn” bags, was in place to ensure the wood wasn’t “soaking wet rubbish”…