Help needed

Thanks james …at last a voice of reason…not been on here for a while and it seems to me you have a few trolls living on the site shame never used to be like this…

Not the homeless for the simple reason that if any of them are collecting benefits, then just like anywhere else they are supposed to be available for work if they are unemployed, as those who would be taken on would need to be, the social charges and all would be expected and envious or disapproving whistle blowers could do for you, plus anything you gave them in lieu of work would count as payment, which would put you both in the black economy, so a hot potato. Stick with Helpex type of solutions.

Hi Steve

Try this - https://www.helpx.net/

Best of luck!!

Kaen

Steve

Have a look at http://helpx.net/

Best of luck with your project.

James

Steve, if you have an issue, you need to discuss it with an administrator and not threaten other members. I am editing your comment.

Hi Steve,
I can thoroughly reccomend ‘helpex’. We had a young Spaniard who came to us for 3 weeks then returned later for another fortnight. Under Helpex system people are meant to work for a few hours a day in exchange for board and lodging. We have met a number of people locally who have both used Helpex volunteers and who have been volunteers.
On the Helpex website the volunters give their skills. You, being a builder, may be able to help people learn new skills.
We didn’t hide the fact that Sergie was staying with us. The idea, at first, seemed alien to us and like slave labour but there are loads of people out there doing it. We met Sergie through some friends locally. Certainly here in the Pyrenees it was considered quite normal.

Hi Steve, I would suggest you (legally) set up a 'working holiday in exchange for board and lodging and French or English language practice', there are plenty of agencies you can register with, such as these:
http://www.helpx.net/index.asp
http://www.workaway.info/hostlist-FR.html

otherwise, you could scout the local homeless and would do well not to advertise the fact that you are breaking the law.

PS, Even if you do not like their comments, go easy on the majority of people on this site who are trying to be helpful (if you want to avoid their wrath)

Gary

regards

This project will be as I have already mentioned done on a shoe string and has ben costed out and will happen over three phases please dont make assumptions …this help which by the way not one post so far has been of my original request is a two way street I get some humping and lumping done they get to stay in a fantastic place free …if you decide to put on an annexe and I decide to help you for free its not a crime its an act of kindness you guys are getting all caught up in a hypothetical what could happen situation…jeez all I said was can anyone help …

"unfortunately this site wont let me show you just how unsophisticated I can be ...but feel free to let me know where you are and maybe one day I will come and show you" enough said I think.

You sound to me the last person to have any business dealings with, building or renting gites!

Its because therenare some really nice people out there that just do that kind of thing …because they want to they have the time to spare and give it freely I have done it on many occasion over the years…its a really satisfing feeling helping other for no finacial gain…try it you may like it…

I don't quite understand why you think anyone would come in and work for you for no pay. Why on earth would anyone want to do that who does not have a financial interest in the project or is not family ?

Poor chap…but my business is here in France not the Uk and I am doing all the work myself and its my building I am not doing this for a client it is my property …and its fine if someone calls in the gendarmes there is no law that I know of that says you cant except help from either friends or strangers…I have worked on sites where this has happened before and once explained all was fine.

Well I'm sure you know a lot more about building than I do, but what I DO know from having had to go & translate for people at the Gendarmerie (people with their own building businesses in the UK using their employees to work here on a non-contractual basis) is that you are on VERY dodgy ground (travail dissimulé, non-déclaré etc etc) if you do what you are proposing to do, as you have described it. a 'holiday with a bit of help' is not a concept that will stand up in French law unless it is properly set out under the auspices of eg an historical-renovation association for listed buildings etc. You will be responsible and you will be fined/chucked in prison/given a hard time. So be careful.

One of the people I had to interpret for was poison-penned on by his neighbour & the fact that said neighbour spent most of his time in the local loony bin for paranoid delusions didn't mean the Gendarmes discounted what he had to say at all., my chap still got hauled over the coals & fined & all work stopped.

Ok peeps just to let you know I am a builder and have my own company I have been here for over 12 years and have done many projects in this time I am not looking for people to come and slave for me it would be a pleasant short work/slash holiday for whoever wanted a chance of a cheap outing to a beautiful part of France.so all work would be carried out by me I am just looking for extra hands to make my life a bit easier I dont want to get drawn into long debates on what people can and cant do this is just a chance of a holiday with a bit of help {edited} JH

Unfortunelty Veronique you have hit the nail on the head 100%. And certainly because of the difficult times being had in France it is not uncommon to be bubbled for employing strangers to the area in respect of a visit from the gendarmes would be quite normal Checking all paperwork = no carte vitals, etc then you are deemed to be working on the black by not paying into the system, and of course if there is an accident then the police will automatically become involved. People are trying to help you even though it’s not what you want to here.

It is illegal in France to have people working for nothing, you have to pay their social charges, insurance etc since they are working for you - board & lodging may be PART of a remuneration package, but only part of it. Also unless they are artisans or otherwise qualified in the various trades you are getting them to do you won't have building etc insurance once the work is done.

I do love sophistication! You must be really nice to work for, especially if being paid ZERO.

Hi, I wish you luck but we are in the Dordogne also and when we've had work done we have problems with people showing up being paid a good wage! It is difficult to get people to show up for a devis sometimes.

Six gites sounds a large interesting project. Good luck.

What is your problem …you bored …if you dont have anything positive to add or answer a genuine request for help…do me a favor …do one…

"obviously I will feed and board anyone who comes" how very generous of you!