Help please - the realities of living in France

It all makes a bit of a mockery of European free movement though doesn’t it?

Do come to France but even if you speak the language fluently and have the right of abode or even citizenship expect to be treated as second rate at best.

Probably explains why many expats are self employed.

That said the Brits as a whole are pretty xenophobic and have little more time for people who don’t speak English than the French do for non-francophones.

It is one area that the NHS is way better than the French system - if you turn up to an NHS clinic but don’t speak good English a translator will be provided, I don’t think the same is true in France.

1 Like

Hi Paul… from what you say, it seems the NHS pay translators to attend their clinics… is that really what you mean ?? as it seems an added expense for the NHS to bear.

1 Like

That’s exactly_ why most Brits are self-employed.

Come on Simon, get real, I don’t look for Brits, I ask my neighbours, who do you use to do 'whatever?, of course they use locals, who have proved to be absolutely fine.
Utterly, Utterly, Unacceptable, Simon,
Distrustful,
Racism,
Inbred,
Poor education, you’re not the man I thought you were, goodbye simon!!! Fly Matey

Yes, that is what I mean

wow… been out of UK for too long… so I did not know this. No wonder folk want newcomers to speak English… what a lot of money being used on Translators instead of medication and medical staff… :thinking::zipper_mouth_face:

And you see that as better?

And why not, if you can do the job, of course contacts count Peter, same the World over, isn’t it?

Yes.

To supply effective healthcare the medical (and other) staff need to be able to communicate effectively with patients - which is not going to happen if there is a language barrier. The NHS as an organisation is actually committed to equal access irregardless of race, religion, language, gender identity, sexual orientation etc and providing translators is part of that.

Yes, before you ask, I do think it would be better for people who wish to settle here to learn the language but for those who have a right to access then NHS and need the compassion and care of its employees, language should not be a barrier.

5 Likes

Possibly cut down on the aperos Bill ??? Not quite sure what your diatribe is all about but you’ve made your point - hope you feel better…(no response required thanks)

1 Like

Sure is Bill.

Meant to tell you Bill, I met about 80 people from Whitehaven (marrams ?) the other day when I was in Perpignan, have to say they can drink a bit !!

2 Likes

How many languages are covered?

How many have you got?

Don’t try to trivialize what I said, simon, I meant it!
Yours, Surprised and Disappointed’ Bill.

I speak English reasonably well so that’s not an issue but the logistics of the system must be fairly hit or miss.

I get called out by the mairie and the gendarmerie when they need someone who speaks other languages. It is my little bit of voluntary work, they accept that it has to fit in with my job.

1 Like

They can too!!! But they aren’t “Marrams” Peter, they are Marras, culture diff’ Matey :wink:
80, Blimey t’ Toon musta bin empty lad :rofl:

Being serious many patients will have family members who speak English so will be supported that way (though officially they are not to be relied upon - they might not know medical terms, might be embarrassed to talk about intimate matters etc). Sometimes staff members are used though, again, it is not always an ideal solution.

Otherwise commercial services are used, sometimes with a face-to-face interpreter, sometimes with telephone access so the rarer languages are going to be difficult - if you turn up speaking only Navajo then it might not go well.

2 Likes

Sure was mate. The Haven league team played against the Catalans in the cup.

Sorry to go off topic.

1 Like

Know the score Peter?