Help with Géomètre please!

I found this web site: http://www.calcul-frais-de-notaire.fr/
I
did a calculation of buying a piece of land for 1000 euros. The notaire fees (which include state tax) would be 1280 euros ! Incredible !!
Most part must be fixed charges, regardless of value, otherwise it would be completely insane.

I wanted to buy a piece of communal land directly in front of our house. The mairie agreed to sell it and I asked them for the name of a Geometre. He arrived and measured up the plot (about 20m. x 10m.), created new cadastral plans, and then sent the drawings to both the Mairie and the Notaire. I paid the Geometre about €300, the Notaire about €620 (simply for registering change of ownership) and the Mairie about €1340 (for the purchase of the land). So I reckon it'll cost you about €1000 minimum. Money for old rope for the Notaire wo did virtually nothing other than type up a couple of contracts. Money into the commune for a piece of land that was useless to them. The geometre was the only one to do anything signifcant and he got the least.

There appears to be quite a few different figures mentioned in the replies, we have just purchased a house in Normandy and although the seller paid the fees for splitting his land it was approx 800 Euros - November 2012. From what I could see it all was quite easy, tape measures, wheel on a stick etc. Anyway, hope this helps a little.

This one is not bad either: http://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/accueil

We separated our plot into 3 parcels and the cost was around 1,400 euros however that was 4 years ago. Something to consider is if you sell a parcel of land you will be charged tax for it if you don't sell it as part of your principle residence. In other words if your home in france is your principle residence but you sell of a parcel of your estate you will pay tax. However if you sell as a total you don't pay tax. Hope this makes sense. I am somewhat whooly headed having worked night shifts and have yet to sleep.

Is there access (other than by foot) to the plot you want to sell? The reason I ask is we own two constructible plots or parcelles but there is no street access to one. So, we can construct a gîte or abri de jardin on it but I believe street or road access would have to be approved and/or provided if we wanted to sell it as constructible land.

We had two boundaries measured and bornes replaced by a geometre, around 900€ but that included obtaining agreement on his findings by neighbors sharing the boundaries. Near Salies du Salat.

http://www.cadastre.gouv.fr

You can certainly find your property on the Plan Cadastral website and print it out. The Geometre thing appears to be money for old rope and something of jobs for the boys. It may pay to shop around but they probably have a nudge and a wink about the costs, especially if an etranger comes along.

hi, we recently paid for a geometre, 500 euro for our outside area which is also 2 parcelles adjoined, plus tva. our plot is around 1000m2 combined. hope that helps.

the geometre does the measuring up, yes, but they also submit the results to the relevant department (DDE ?) etc. and the final result is shown on the internet. Yes, you can see your parcelle on the internet. I can't recall the site exactly but it is gouv.fr/cadastral/your postcode or something like that. Again your Marie can help

I recall the fee I paid was around 300€. I was recommended a local one - but don't forget , your Mairie can advise you ( at least if they are as helpful as ours is). I would also advise your mayor of your intentions - you never know, he (or she) may know someone who would be interested in buying your land.

Gwen,

Is Craig in a permanent job in Freiburg? That's quite a change!

I used a géomètre in Crolles in 2008 because it was not quite clear whether our walls marked the boundaries or not. They are called Vial, and they are down behind Grand Frais. Their fee was something like 1000 euros to measure up and do the plans and stuff, and they seemed quite straightforward and competent.

Ian

hi Gwen

you say you have two 'plots' ? are the two plots on the same 'parcelle' ?

the price shouldn't be too exhorbitant if it's a straightforward line down the middle - it's a long time since I had to bring in a geometre (a bog standard geometre will do - look him or her up in the Yellow Pages)

a cadastral 'plot' in france is called a 'parcelle' so maybe you already have the plot or parcelle number?

I wouldn't bring in a notaire as he may well send you a bill for services rendered - just an opinion, ask the geometre if he or she speaks english if there is a language problem - most of them do nowadays

You could contact your Notaire and ask for their recommendation. They will also help split the plot on the cadastral plan, something that will need doing if you are going to sell the plot (or both).

Peter

So no news for more than a year so I presume it all ended happily?

I have an agricultural plot which I bought in 2007 for my extended garden. A new neighbour arrived last year and has planted a "borne" a few metres into my land taking away a level track to drive on - the land is sloping apart from this level boundary area. Since he is above me it is natural that vegetation from his land falls down slowly covering the wall and making the boundary unclear. The previous owner of my plot sold me his land as it was too much effort trying to keep it tidy and so now the geometre has taken a view only from above and not paid attention to the ancient wall dividing the properties since it is buried under waste from above. The new chap has cut away all the trees which had given us privacy and also marked the boundaries. He has also placed a plastic cover well into my land to see how much I tolerate. All four of the surrounding neighbours have said he is a "con" what ever that means and to be careful since he pushes things to the limit with his friend the geometre. From reading the story above it is not clear to me how the "bornes" are established and to what extent they are regarded as fixed. In my case I was not consulted at all, but above someone says that both sides must be in agreement. We discussed this yesterday and he claimed he would bring the geometre (at his own cost) and was keen that we three are able to meet for agreement. My French is ok but not brilliant and I was told by the other neighbours to go further afield to find a neutral geometre. I have been trying this today but on the site http://geometre.info/geometre/perigueux all the numbers I have called (just six or seven!) has the same telephone as fax or do not exist. Thus I came on SF via a google search and although member for a number of years don't often have problems that I need help with - so hopefully someone can give me some suggestions.

1. Are the ancient walls the defining points of a boundary or is a new plastic borne overriding, even though it was done with incomplete (since the wall has been buried) information?

2. Is the borne valid although both sides have not yet agreed on its validity?

Hope to hear soon!