Hi everyone, how are you doing?

Really, to me it sounds like the countryside surrounding Cluny.

5 Likes

If you say so Jane. I wasn’t aware that adding “sois” to a place name meant that. One learns something everyday :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

there’s a lot to learn about France… :hugs:

“clunysois” relates to the area of Cluny, Saône-et-Loire as French folk will be aware…

1 Like

Perhaps it’s a thing with place names ending in Y as Vichy residents are known as Vichyssois

2 Likes

Ha ha… you, too… ha ha… you definitely have a lot to learn…

Sorry Stella I don’t get that

Sounds like George to me :face_with_hand_over_mouth::wink:

Cluny is gorgeous… very much like George… :hugs:

Doesn’t hold true all over, people who live in Chantilly are called Cantiliens. And the other way round people from Mons-en-Barœul are called Monsois.

Yes I know it doesn’t hold true for all , and I was more pointing out that the suffix is in use and not indicative of a medical condition :grinning:

1 Like

Oh, eh bien, merci pour ça Stella, il y a toujours beaucoup à apprendre, sur tout et partout.
Je pense toujours que ça ressemble à une maladie, mais c’est mon sens de l’humour.
Je serais surpris si TOUS les Français étaient au courant. Mais je vais demander à mes amis Dracenois :slight_smile:

George? As in George and Mildred? Stella, steady on.

2 Likes

A comment like that could end you up in the soup. :zipper_mouth_face:

It wouldn’t be the first time

Very common quiz question in eg le jeu des mille euros’ what is the gentilé for x or y place.
And le Clunysois is the same formation as eg l’Angoumois, it is the bit of land around Cluny or Angoulême - they are old provinces like Poitou, Saintonge, etc
As a tropézienne, I know the dracénois :grin:

Yes, a very good and often difficult question. I wonder how many there are, there must be a list?

:crazy_face: :crazy_face: there is often heated chitchat when my pals get together. such a mixed bunch from all over… and each has his/her own way of saying things and different patois…

this is a useful list… and, if you click on the Department, it then brings up all the towns… and gives another listing…

https://www.habitants.fr/index.php

And to clear up any confusion, I had ‘got ‘the soup reference from the start

1 Like

soup is often when the fracas (friendly) starts… watching who cleans the plate with red wine and how they do it… let alone what they call such antics… :crazy_face: :rofl: :frowning:

2 Likes