Hi there - figured I'd introduce myself

I don’t know. This just looked like a normal bike. I didn’t look too closely as it was at the back but it was immaculate.

1 Like

They certainly weren’t when I was a postie in Slough too many moons ago now to remind myself of how fit I was! Heavy iron jobs, no gears, flat tray on the front for the bag. My cycle ‘walk’ (they were all called 'walks in those days walk walks, cycle walks and drive walks), was a mere 8miles from the PO. Deliveries were to individual doors and no collective box arrays for flats. Rode 6 miles to PO at 0400, ‘threw up walk’ i.e. sorted, at 0500. Started at 6.00 finished deliveries at 9.00am. Second walk at 10.30 and finished at midday (a walk walk).
Lunch in the canteen and then Parcel Sorting (overtime) from 14.00 to 16.00, then Station Service unloading mail trains , until 20.30. Back to PO clock off and cycle home 6 miles and bed. 6 days a week, for a net wage of £11,00 a week.
Amazingly I had two breakfasts one at home, one in canteen, Two lunches one illegal on way back past house between first two walks, and another in canteen. Snack in canteen between parcels and station service, and a cooked meal at night on arrival. I don’t even think this would be legal today.

I was super-fit physically, a psychological mess, always knackered, and had the shortest fuse imaginable. 6’1" tall and 16 stone - not an ounce of fat on me. Couldn’t last though and I quit after just under a year after a snowy Christmas season.

Never forget those bloody heavy bikes though!

My current steed is a 6-speed tourer that I have had for Just over 40 years and which has travelled half the world with me for some reason.
Still think it is an ideal bike, but need to raise the handlebars a bit for more comfort (less speed) in my dotage.

Don’t do any real distances though and choose the weather but usually pound out about 12kms 3-4 times a week. Usually takes about an hour. Down to 93kg 14. stone) these days and have a pot belly - where did I go wrong?

I could be tempted by an e-bike but the cheapest I have seen is about €1200 and I don’t have that sort of dosh around. I think I would be a bit suspicious of a second-hand one, and being a mechanical cripple as well as a Computer and Brico one it wouldn’t be too practical an idea methinks!

1 Like

Mines a Norauto Wayscral Basy 315. Not the exactly the same…but…Solid steel…same as this one…weighs approx 35kg…but pulls a chariot thingy, with shopping…, up hill, if not too steep. 499 e. Pay in installments, if you are cash challenged.
I don’t think they come much cheaper, new…and this ones got a Lithium battery…mine is lead, and that is a third of the total weight.
I’m going to town on it, on Monday, with its extra battery, and the chariot…visit the dentist, and bring home supplies for the cat…who likes 24 hour attention…