Homeschooling family near Perpignan

n,'oubliet-pas vielle fils. When you point votre gougon at someone vous avez trois doigts pointing back at yourself.

I too would like to put in a good word for CNED. I have a son with learning difficulties and we did a year of CNED with him. It was the first time he had a programme adapted to his level and therefore could succeed at the tasks given him and get positive feedback. Your son sounds like a lovely bright little boy but I think the system works very well for all ages and a abilities and is one if the best things about french education. The responses we had were speedy and kind which isnā€™t always the case in the ordinary school system and I know a number of kids who have used it to learn a language for the bac that isnā€™t supported in their school and they also found it a positive experience.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure what a ā€œgougonā€ is but I can join the dots sufficiently to appreciate the notion of self-reflection conveyed, Ian. Perhaps the 100% English phrase, ā€œIt takes one to know oneā€ would be more apposite? In any case, I thank you for your insight.

Thanks Caroline; I will check it out.

1 Like

Why Brits such as those chose to come to France I do not understand.
Obviously, they did not do much research or they choose to live in Brit ghettos.
We live in the rural Clunysois and get on well with our french neighbours, many professional retirees from Lyon, farmers and people who have lived here all their lives.
Apparently there is a family who were collaborators in the War and their children are still suffering from that.
None of us incomers know which family it is, but prejudice is still alive and well here.
I am very happy to say that we have never experienced any at all.

We are planning a pool party and barbecue in August when we shall have been here for ten years.
The usual thing is that I slow roast a shoulder of pork and everyone elso comes along with salads, cheese puds etc.
We also provide wine and beer.
Our family from Munich will also be here and if it goes along previous lines our friend, the Mayor, will play with our grandchildren in the pool.
No ā€˜darlingsā€™ here.

Hi Jane, interesting story about the ā€œcollaboratorsā€! And slow roast pork shoulder is right up there with one of our favourite cuts / cooking methods. I have a charcoal smoker which always brings the French to my yard. But their true Achillesā€™ heal is pizza. Last summer I installed a wood-fired oven and we threw a few pizza parties. Amazingly, all the French turned up on time! They were so excited at the prospect of getting hands-on with making our own pizzas from scratch. Think about it: hour after hour of making food, eating food, talking about food, and washing it down with vino. Itā€™s just heaven for them. So if you really want to integrate (and it sounds like youā€™re ahead of the game in this respect) then my advice is MAKE PIZZA. The French are absolutely powerless to resist ā€” and I understand that France is the biggest consumer of pizza per capita in the worldā€”yes, ahead of the Italians. :slight_smile:

Finally, I looked up your area (just north of Lyon, correct?) and I know it a little bit ā€” itā€™s a very nice part of the world ā€” about five or six hoursā€™ drive north of me I think.