Hoping for a confirmation re joint income ++ length of stay allowed in Schengen Area etc

Hi Stella my wife has duel nationality trinidad and tobago and english passports I only have the british passport, but we were hoping to be able to do 6 months here in uk and then 6 months in france does that not work.
terry

In order to that you would need to get a visa each time, which of course you could do but there will be a cost and a certain amount of hassle.
Without a visa you are limited to visits of up to three months at a time in the Schengen area. The limit is 90 days in 180 on a rolling basis, so as Stella says you can do 3 months in France -3 months in the UK-3 months in France-3 months in the UK each year.

As Anna says, British Citizens will be allowed short stays in the Schengen Zone, 90/180 days without a visa. After 90 days they will not be able to return for another 90 days. This means that you will be able to stay in France for 2x90 days but not 180 days consecutively. The answer to your question is that, without a visa, you will be able to spend about six months of every year in France but not as a six month block. Itā€™s worth pointing out that your 2x90 days will apply to the whole of the Schengen zone not just France.

Terryā€¦ of course the small print is yet to be finalisedā€¦but it has been widely broadcast and also everywhere on the web ā€¦ UK residents will be restricted one way or another when visiting many other countries (which is why I asked about other nationalities)ā€¦ :thinking:

If as expected the UK stops issuing EHICs to UK residents, probably the main hoop to jump through for a visitior visa is that they need to see travel insurance for the duration of your stay and your policy has to meet Franceā€™s minimum requirements for medical cover.

Being the one who started this topic, the bit about limited stays in our little home and visas etcā€¦all feels so sad to accept and the complete opposite of our life goalā€¦it being our only property we own. Oh well, one door closes etcā€¦trying to be openhearted!

1 Like

chin up, Sally. You need to do some serious thinkingā€¦and then make a decision on what you really want to doā€¦

Good luckā€¦ :hugs:

1 Like

Hi Sally know how you feel my wife and I do not have our own home in england we preferred to buy in france with intentions of living their permanently however, after the banks going down over recent years and all the rest of the banks farces my pension is nigh on worthless. now this brexit farce is just another nail in the coffin. 45 years of work and still not able to afford to retire never mind having to pay to live elsewhere.
Terry

1 Like

Thanks Stella , I know, apols if doom and gloom! Ditto Terry!

@Terryg53 and @Sally_Vaughan hang on in thereā€¦ amazing how things can, and do, work outā€¦ in the end. :hugs:

Many years ago we had a very different dreamā€¦ tried every which-way to achieve it, to no avail. Only later in life did we appreciate that the path we had hankered after was not really what was best for usā€¦ and now we live a wonderful dream here in Franceā€¦

After some ghastly times, we now really appreciate that every day is a gift, for which we are very grateful. :hugs: :hugs:

1 Like

Hi Sally,

Sorry to read about your predicament, but as you own the French property your outgoings here could be quite low.

Apologies if Iā€™ve missed the following having already been mentioned above. If you retire early and move here during the transition period, you should both be able to get the all important Carte Vitale because your husband has reached pensionable age. The CV will be essential to securing a Carte de Sejour.

A propos early retirement, you can calculate your state pension on the UK gov website.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks Mark, if only we could go now,! yes I am aware its the CV that would be ideal! Just canā€™t as would be no income until pensions for me. I had dreamed of making and selling lavender bags from vintage sheets but just donā€™t think that would cut it!! Haha.

Its like wishing time would jump to pension age early but thats the last thing I want actually. I am sure we will accept and adjust one way or another. Worse things could happe.

N. Whoever thought this situation would arise, limited choices etc. This site is very supportive.

Thanks again

It would not be no income for you as in France itā€™s always the household income that counts. As long as your husbandā€™s income met the threshold for a couple you would be fine.

Sadly it wouldnā€™tā€¦our fault, life choices etc!

Hi Sally Vaughan
When we came to live in France it was just after the S1s were withdrawn for early retirees in 2014. OH was 60 that year, I was still in my 50s.
Our financial planning was based on his Retirement age being 65 and mine 62ā€¦as the time past both have increased. OH has to wait an extra year to 66 and Iā€™ve to wait an extra 5 years to 67.
That said we are fortunate in that OH has a private pension, I declare rental income as mine. Ive had the misfortune of 2 car accidents, neither my fault, which kicked my confidence to the floor and grateful that itā€™s not top of the list for me to work until 67.We have been granted Carte Vitales, though we were made to jump through many hoops but eventually obtained them.
Also in 2018 our 1st application for Carte de Sejour, currently holding a 5 year card (which we are hoping for the minimal fee to exchange, not the full fee 119ā‚¬? each). OH has his french driving licence, Iā€™m waiting on mine (been 13mths so far!)
All in all ours is not a grand income but sufficient for our needs, we go out when we want etc. The monetary levels are guides and we are probably between Stella and Timothyā€™s figures (depending on rate exchange too) but as OH is 66 this year that will ease for usā€¦Iā€™ve still 7 years to wait, which could change again!
So, if youā€™re the property owner and can budget your bills (most offer monthly payments) you can live quite comfortably. Enjoy the slower pace of life and the space around you!
If youd like more specific info happy to email :slightly_smiling_face:
Caz

If you are British there will be no fee for you new CdS. As you have a CdS your household income has been considered to be sufficient.

Hi Caz, thank you for your reply and encouragement, always welcome. We are in positive mind for whatever we decide now. My husband who is 67 has a worsening health condition so I think it is all about healthcare and price of insurance etc.

I am pleased that you have settled and managing well yourselves.

If needs be we will enjoy the house whilst we can for hols and then put whole lot up for sale, I like an all or nothing approach! Not rushing anything now though.