Hospital taxi car + Health Queries

Yes Geoffrey, your MT will be able to provide a bon de transport.
Thereafter, at Girac in the service, they will be able to provide a composite bon to cover the ongoing treatments over the 3 weeks.
Make sure when booking the car that they are aware of the need for you to travel with her too so they don’t overbook the number of seats in the car and that you will remain with her in the Service and will return after the appointment.

Good idea. All of my friends who have had cancer treatment say it is very tiring. The other plus is that the taxi will know exactly where to go, and will deliver you to the door. And will wait (usually) so no issues with parking. If the taxi doesn’t wait they will have sorted put the return journey. And no probs with you going too, make sure the box with accompagnement is ticked - and the ALD one.

just mentioning…
might be advisable to ensure that the non-patient will be allowed into the hopital with the radiotherapy-patient.

My OH was not allowed in A&E in Charente, although I was in there for 12 hours…
and here in Dordogne, I’ve been advised that no-one can accompany me when I go for X-rays, in a couple of weeks… so OH will have to wait outside in the car…
(going to be difficult for me with only one good hand/arm and poor balance, but I’m presuming they’ll have folk to help me…)

@geoffrey_Croshaw this is due to Covid… and so worth ensuring that one checks what’s what beforehand…

It seems to be different in Libourne hospital.
They are not currently checking covit passes.
OH was allowed into exterior area of ecography dept.

hi Barbara… this is why I advise folk to check their own situation…

it’s differing all over France…

be ghastly if the taxi goes off… and leaves Geoffrey to sit outside in the cold…

Geoffrey’s wife is attending the same Hospital I do in Charente (16) (we have communicated by PM previously) and my wife attends with me travelling in the ambulance car and is allowed access (but obviously not in the restricted radio areas) in the service waiting area.
This occurred throughout the Covid restrictions too (she was issued with a pass after checking her jab status on each occasion).
In our direct experience, it is often at the discretion of the Doctor as to granting any permission to remain in the service precincts and this is not unreasonably withheld when there is good reason for it to be granted.
It usually helps when the patient has been transported by ambulance car as the driver will clear any necessary hurdles with the nursing staff when handing the patient over to their care.

1 Like

It does seem that every hospital is different. Parking is no problem as we’ve been allocated our own space. But my wife has just received an appointment for a pet scan which is a complete surprise as it hasn’t been discussed or mentioned before. So I assume this is to check if the cancer has spread elsewhere. I am also guessing the radiotherapy will be delayed until the results of the scan?

Check with your Doc… would be my advice…
Unless your wife is officially notified that radiotherapy is being delayed… I would assume that this will be going ahead as planned.

You might be interested in this US resource which explains the difference between the different types of scan.
Based on my experience at Girac with a CT scan, the results are available pretty quickly. The only delay may be with the service wishing to discuss the scan results with your cancer Doctor first before they discuss the result with you (for obvious reasons) since it is very difficult to interpret for a novice.
I doubt your currently scheduled treatments will be impacted but you should be able to check with the service to be sure.
Do the dates coincide?

We’ll the radiotherapy is supposed to start Nov 15th and end Dec 6th but these dates are not yet confirmed. The Pet scan is Nov 25th and that seems to be definite

That follows…

How were you informed of those dates? Did you receive a convocation or was it just during discussion with the Doctor?

The last person we saw was a nurse who was supposed to answer any questions we might have about the treatment and again gave us the dates given by the doctor but emphasised they might change and we would have confirmation a week before the start

seems you wait for the official note, giving a week’s notice…