Hosting/domain name registration in France

Thank you @PeterJ . I’ve seen their name recommended before so will check them out.

Have you any information about what happens the other way round - ie to uk addresses if we are living in the EU?

We use them too, have always been fine.

1 Like

I have searched and found nothing in regards to UK domains. I suspect the UK registration org are not being as petty and nothing will change. My UK domain is registered at my mother in laws address in the UK - perhaps a friend or family member will be able to assist you if you experience issues with a UK address.

I use Planethoster for domain names and hosting.

I can certainly register an address that isn’t mine on my ionos.co.uk but the difficulty then comes with billing addresses. I am unhappy about the extent to which I am starting to lie and would be happier with a more honest approach if it is at all feasible :smiley:

Thanks for the endorsment @JaneJones

@AngelaR
I think this was the thread you were looking for…

Thank you @graham - I had read that one carefully before posting here!
However, it doesn’t answer my question because it’s coming from the other direction :smiley:

I don’t recall one the other way round, sorry.

No worries. I am getting tied in a knot at the moment trying to be honest about where I live with banks, cards, Paypal (what a nightmare that is) and ionos.co.uk is just the latest…

(Fortunately my banks happen to ones that are ok with it)

1 Like

Nominet’s Terms and Conditions are listed here, they cover all .uk domains:

I can’t see anything which states you must be resident to have a .me.uk domain name - I suppose that it is possible individual registrars might try to enforce it though.

If ionos is getting uppity just transfer to a new registrar.

I don’t think the .eu changes are petty - the domain has specific rules which pre-date Brexit and they are being applied consistently, no different to people suddenly finding they can’t bring ham sandwiches into the EU from a non-EU country.

It’s no more petty than Nominet insisting that you are a UK academic institution before allowing you to register a .ac.uk address.

I use Network Solutions, not cheap (& they will rip you off even more with auto-renew if you let them) but they’ve never given me any real bother so lethargy keeps me with them for now. However as they are a US company I suspect they will not give a hoot about you paying for a .me.uk address with a French bank card.

That’s very interesting, Paul @anon88169868 . It may just be ionos that’s getting its knickers in a twist. Because of various activities, professional and otherwise, we have 10 domain names registered through them. I’m gradually paring them down but some have a lot of email addresses associated with them so will take a while to move.

Indeed, and for .me.uk or .co.uk I don’t think you have to live in, or be a business registered in, the UK

But to register a .eu address you do, in fact, have to live in, or be a business with registration in, the EU.

A lot of the rules are lax and have been applied inconsistently which doesn’t help - .net, for instance used to be just for ISP’s then for a while almost anyone could get one - I think they tightened it up again a while back but I don’t know what the current status is.

.ac.uk is pretty strict (UK academia only), I think .org.uk is as well (UK charities), .gov.uk is very strict etc.

Some payment platforms have always suffered from problems with oversea address - there’s one account I have to renew by phone.

There’s no restrictions as it stands on owning .co.uk domains.

I use Ipage & 123 Reg for my hosting

That’s useful @chrisell - thank you.

I don’t think it’s petty Peter. Brexit means Brexit, as I heard somewhere.

Update…

I use OVH.com for domain names, hosting, email

Thank you @Krister - I shall pop over there and have a look.

I have used Online.net (also currently operating as, or aka, Scaleway), for hosting, but which also does domain name registration via BookMyName.

Thanks very much, @RicePudding - one to investigate!

Peter, the EU are not being “petty” - we are simply finding out what it means to no longer be a member state.

Sorry but we’re only two weeks in and I’m already tired of the “the EU is being petty/unfair/unreasonable” for simply imposing on the UK the rules which it imposes on all other non-members and the inaccurate reporting that is resulting.

2 Likes