House renovation project: artisan or contractors recommendations?

Big French companies like EDF and Enedis frequently have contract work done by foreign companies or people. My Linky was installed by a Polish contractor. Foster designed the Millau bridge and Rogers the Beaubourg. On two occasions I did some design work on French projects but they were implemented by local firms. In both cases the clients wanted British architects and I had worked with both before in the UK. On one the client did try to use a French architect but he kept on doing what he wanted to do, and was not giving the client the two way relationship they wanted.

Stella, here we wanted 250 sq m of oak flooring, but were refused a discount by the sawmill.

We found the same with the workers on our renovation.
They didnā€™t listen to what we wanted and tried to do it as they always had previously done.
One minor example was that we had to rewire a picture light on a staircase, we had shown them where we wanted it, but they knew better.
It was far too low and looked ridiculous.
The Macon poured concrete before hooking up the old fosse to the new one and refused to undo his mistake.
We had a French architect overseeing the work.

When doing private houses (and I did hundreds) the briefing before the project starts on site is so important and in cases of couples I always insisted on both of them being there as we evolved the brief. Itā€™s most unlikely that a builder or artisan will have the relevant design experience. I would not expect to do good building work myself and linley%20internals I would not expect a builder to be able to conceive a project in the same way as an architect, especially one with the right experience and skills. Not all architects do private houses for clients and some act like prima donnas.

Yes, and thatā€™s the beauty of the EU - workers can go to where there is work for them, and there are rules which if followed will ensure that itā€™s a fair playing field for everyone. win-win. Shame the UK wants out of the loop.

1 Like

This one did private houses and work for Batiments de France.
It was the artsans who chose to go about things in their own sweet way.

I agree with most of this - I am a self renovator , also. DIY is probably the only option in France. But I thought that you could no longer offset costs against CSG, has the law changed recently?

A huge benefit of EU membership so I find it surprising how many people say they will only employ French Labour. Best person for the job I say regardless of nationality.

I wonder if there is some misunderstanding going onā€¦

Locally, we have some superb masons/buildersā€¦ they know the local designs/products and have an excellent reputation for quality, albeit not cheapā€¦

However, they are not the most inexpensive, either, and will (generally) discuss a Devis with the client and amend/reduceā€¦ or explain why/how the costs are what they are.

Anywayā€¦ to get to my pointā€¦ some of these are French and some of them are Dutch/othersā€¦ but they have all got French building qualifications and the necessary guarantees/insurance for the work.

IMO where problems can arise is the situation when workers are brought in from abroad (wherever)ā€¦ such workers who have not got the French qualification/guarantees/insurance for the work undertaken.

You canā€™t offset DIY costs, only proper bills from registered artisans.

Quite, just as long as they are up to speed with building regs, are able to talk to other corps de mƩtier, can give you a garantie dƩcennale and you can get hold of them easily should there be glitches.

Hi, Jane,
Thanks for that. Is that for all houses, or ā€œmaison principaleā€ only?

Peter

Since offsetting costs is to do with capital gains tax, itā€™s only an issue for rĆ©sidences secondaires. Itā€™s not an issue for a rĆ©sidence principale because they donā€™t attact CGT in any case.
However, the ā€œlegal guaranteeā€ issue applies to any property thatā€™s sold within 10 years of completion of the works, whether a principal residence or a holiday home.

Thanks again for your excellent clarification,

Peter