How do you react to the begging on French streets?

Richard, I guess a lot of folk think that "moving to France" makes them "better", or more high society. The arrogance I've seen from expats on other sites scares me, as it gives the rest of us a bad name.

Have I accidentally stumbled into the Daily Mail letters page?

A Gendarme in Montpellier told me that to arrest someone with a dog it was necessary to call a police dog handler to take the animal, as the only worked during the day it was therefore very difficult to arrest someone out of office hours, when most of the trouble happens. You couldn't make it up.

Yep Julie: I felt that the beggar had opted to sit and beg, but the dog had no choice in the matter. I don't know if they DO get an allowance to feed their dogs, but I doubt that if this is the case, the dog I fed actually benefited from the money, judging by the speed with which it wolfed down the beef patties ..... Perhaps though, if the dog were glossy, bright eyed and bushy tailed, it would not drag at your heart strings ;-)

partly because the police are legally obliged to look after the dog if the owner gets arrested and they dont need the hassle of the care required.

I really annoyed a beggar with a dog once, while they were sitting outside Lidl's. I went in, bought a packet of Pure Beef Patties, came out and fed them to the dog. Nigel, they do this to make you feel guilty. It's much easier to acquire a dog than a baby :-)

because they used to (I don't know if it's still the case) get an allowance "to feed" each dog :-O

It is the same the world over and I have only one question 'why do they always own a dog'?

Susan,

I suggest you actually look at the actually BBC report on which the Daily Mail took extracts and did their own unique little spin on it, its a very good and balanced report- unlike the Mail's.

The report looks at how Roma kids are being illegally trafficked by criminal gangs, exploited and abused by their gang masters.

Interestingly the kids are being made to target Muslims who, because of their religious beliefs, have an obligation to give a % of their salary to the poor.

The police and Interpol are working to hunt down traffickers and their handlers, but its a long and difficult process particularly given the approach taken to the Roma in Romanian- yes the kids should be taken into protective custody for their own protection- unfortunately most have be smuggle into the country and are therefore illegals and there is a major shortfall in detention centres able to cope with unaccompanied young kids and where exactly would you deport them to given the government of their country of origin refuses to help? We need to provide adequate safe and loving environments for these kids, but in this time of cost cutting you can just imagine the Daily Mail headlines about illegal immigrant kids getting decent and properly funded sanctuary.

Well said, David. I mirror your experience up to the Uni bit. I managed to win enough scholarships to pay the fees and books and worked during the vacations to pay for the rest. And sometimes during term too when money was tight. I once discussed with an aid worker in Africa whether I should donate to her charity. The answer was a categorical "no". It was a waste of money, she said. How sad is that. The only way was to donate directly to a family or group in need. During our time in Africa we would buy school books, pencils and so on and deliver them to a school, making damn sure someone didn't sell them on the local market.

It is not only in France that there is this problem, of course. When visiting relatives in Austria, we saw beggars everywhere where you would expect to find visitors or tourists. Even in the silence of a Cathedral, they would come and harass you for a hand-out. They are so well organised that their “handlers” bring them over the borders in mini buses in the mornings, drop them off at the strategic spots and fetch them to go home in the evenings.
Another thing I find hard to understand is that in many countries, if a child is felt to be at risk from her parents or surroundings, the Social Welfare people go in and remove this child. Are Roma people, or Travellers exempt from this, thereby permitting them to send 4-yr kids out alone to beg, as reported in yesterday’s Daily Mail? Why are these kids not removed from their parents (in fact in many cases, they are NOT really the parents!) Rent-a-Kid for begging and welfare purposes ----

Wnen I see them no matter what country I visit my immediate reaction is " How lucky I am not to be in that situation "

100% correct, David. Most of the money collected for charities does not go directly to the charity itself. It is often a very small portion! But by giving of one’s time or teaching some new skills, the “gift” goes directly to those who need it. One of the things known as The Gift That Keeps on Giving.

It is very simple .

If EVERYBODY stopped giving money , then begging would STOP !

Then the people "employed " in begging would have more time to find a job or seek help

It's not rocket science AND it is that simple

I don't give! That may mean that somebody genuinely in need misses out - but there is help available. I am sure there is some genuine suffering (especially in the current economic climate) but there is also a lot of laziness, and a lot of exploitation!

There are genuine choices available and everyone is entitled to make thier own choice, but then they have to live with the consequences! I know that sounds harsh - but there ARE jobs available. They may be "small" jobs - but it is still a job and it still pays!

I don't feel the need to justify the choice I have made!!

Not exactly French streets but this has tarnished my mind into never giving to anyone begging for money. I the UK I was looking for someone to operate a packing machine, simple work, legal and over the minimum wage, a young healthy lad accosted me for money in the town centre during the day, I offered him a months work with legal pay with the option of continuation if he was any good. The verbal tirade I was then given spoilt it for any other person asking for money. So I happily say hi to all outside Lidls, in the town centre, at the railway station, but no money leaves my pocket. Sometimes I get a hello back sometimes I get a mouthful don't really care either way. I agree it is a business choice for many and I choose to work, they choose to beg, I choose not to give.

I am aware that there are those who are on the streets through no fault of their own, but I can't tell the difference, so my charity is given where I feel its worthy.

right on.

My daughter is a social worker here in a huge Paris hospital. She insists that anyone who wants help can get help as far as food, clothing and a chance for “reinsertion”. She never ever hands out money.

“like” button :wink: