How good a job has Bojo and his team done so far

that’s an insightful observation but what do we expect when the country has governments that sink to the levels of ‘a good day to bury bad news’.

1 Like

It’s also part of a general tendency in the UK media to exaggerate the downside of events in other countries - most recently demonstrated by the reporting, even in The Guardian, of the recent elections in Italy under the headline ‘Italy shows how easily Europe’s leftwing strongholds can fall to the right’, while in most other European countries the headlines focussed on how the vote actually strengthened the broadly leftist government (Germany) and how the anticipated right-wing landslide in the event failed to materialise (France).

At the same time, although the UK government is often now represented in the UK media as incompetent, the fact that it is also extreme right-wing - actually not very different from the right-wing parties on the Continent that are seen as so dangerous - is largely ignored.

1 Like

I think that this is due to the fact that it is only since David Cameron gave4 in to the ERG Group on Brexit, that it is apparent to the general public just how much power this minority of MP’s is wielding.

there have been been both extreme left and right wing parties abroad for many years, however, these factions have, until recently, been hidden in both major parties.

The rejection of Jermey Corbyn’s vision of the Labour Party resulted in their worst defeat for many a year and I can’t help but think that, eventually we will see the same happening in the Tory party. Too late for the disastrous exit from the EU and the appalling outcome it is wreaking upon UK citizens, both in the EU and in the UK.

Covid-19 is the govt’s ideal good way to bury bad Brexit news. Such as the implications of the IM Bill which will give a minister carte blanche to disregard any law, domestic or international.

Try watching Channel 4 News, not a fan of the government, or France 24.

I think burying bad news has been going since the day dot.

The way I know CH4 news is doing a good job is because no Government Minister is EVER available to talk to them. Bloody cowards.

Oh and they’ve won an five Emmys…

4 Likes

The trouble is that the C4 breakfast show is no less irritating than it used to be.

Just that the BBC have caught up.

Ch4 breakfast show has never been as good since they pulled Johnny Vaughan and Denise Van Outen on the Big Breakfast…

1 Like

What has got this to do with the style of news?
Channel 4 has some truly appalling programmes, but the evening news is wonderful.

Tsk Tsk, Jane. Not like you to be school-marmy!

:thinking::confused::grinning:

Well… we think that Bake Off just isn’t the same without Sandi Toksvig, so there :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

She is doing a wonderful new series teaching adults to read.

You might not be the target demographic Paul :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Listening to Boris on PMQ today, He’s certifiable!

2 Likes

Did I detect a note of manic panic in his voice?
The only (slightly) coherent answers he could provide - before wandering off topic again - were those the whips had already placed with no-mark MPs looking to be invited to clean the PMs crapper :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Just watched the six o’clock news on the Government propaganda channel (AKA BBC). The line on Covid seems to have shifted. The BBC Health correspondent (bit of double think there, he should be their Illness correspondent) said “we’re going to have to learn to live with Covid, more people die each year from Flu and pneumonia…”. Exactly the same line as the ERG and Tory hard right have ben peddling.

So, IMO the Government have decided that there’s an acceptable attrition rate associated with Covid and they’re backing away from “defeating” the virus and their softening up the public for the shift from protecting everyone to a health vs economy trade off.

We had a long debate as to whether Covid was “only as bad as 'flu” on SF a while ago - the problem is that the experience so far is that half a year has given us excess mortality twice that of the annual toll for 'flu and it was only that “good” because of lockdown.

Despite a rate that is going up considerably faster in the UK than in France people still seem to be behaving as though it was the summer and hardly anyone was testing positive.

1 Like

Yes, the argument that Covid is “just” like the flu has always been fallacious but this is the first time I have heard it being stated on the BBC. That’s why I think there’s a shift. The ERG and hard right of the Tory party are pushing for economy over health and IMO they are winning.

5 Likes

I shall persevere. Liked Matt Lucas’ Bojo :grinning: