How good a job has Bojo and his team done so far

6 Likes

Britain’s Brexit planning makes a big leap forward…

1 Like

Ah, big step forward, that must be to limit the quantity of shit hitting the fan! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

I would think they’ll need food and beds as well.

Still - it will boost the hospitality sector there.

1 Like

It’s a little funny now that Boris is turning his back on The people of the northern England the same people that helped him get brexit I wonder if the feel a little stupid now supporting him

1 Like

I think that goes for everyone North & South (East & West also!)

If only it did Mat - incredibly, the Tories are still not very far from where they were at the last election in the polls - still on about 40%, absolutely level with Labour.

Just saw this on HIGNFY. Hilarious https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/14/wirral-pub-mocks-three-bellends-johnson-hancock-and-cummings-with-new-sign-13423981/

5 Likes

Not just Covid but other issues covered as well:

I know that the following is a little tongue in cheek but it is interesting - it sort of washes over you as each little idiocy, mini self-contradiction and sliver of incompetence merges into the time line; but when set out together it is remarkable how awful Johnson & the Tories are.

I considered cut ‘n’ paste but it is very long and it would not be fair to the author to risk losing the attribution - but it is very worth reading, preferably imagining Jonathan Pie going full tilt at it.

3 Likes

and they still wonder at why people are saying the UK is the laughing stock of the world!
Shame that the third item is fake news though :disappointed:

As I said the whole thing is tongue in cheek and might not stand up to rigorous fact checking (though I reckon it is broadly correct) - I’m not sure if including that item was a mistake or a knowing wink to the satire involved.

1 Like

3 Likes

The only viable way to level up.

2 Likes

Another brilliant excoriation of the UK government’s deeply corrupt links with big business…

I must admit the really revealing thing at the moment is that it is not just the left wing press which is criticising the government but the right wing press as well (although their attacks tend to be centred more on Johnson himself).

I read it this morning Geof. It didn’t surprise me and, what’s worse, none of these bastards will ever be called to account. They are totally amoral, unscrupulous people. If Trump gets back in I’m building a bunker.

1 Like

Of course you know thngs really look bad when Nigel Farage, of all people, is criticising the government for being too right wing over school meals :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Farage is part of the broad realignment of the right - as are Cummings/Johnson, though they can’t quite shake off neo-liberal ideology that is still the life-blood of the Tory Party.

This realignment has largely ditched the old ‘market-knows-best’ idea - which indeed has clearly failed - and combines more left-wing economics with extreme social conservatism (much like some forms of fascism). On the Continent it is more mature - if you look at the policies of the Truth & Justice Party in Poland, for example, you will find many ‘left’ economic interventions combined with extreme attacks on ‘identity’ political issues; LePen’s old Front Nationale was undoubtedly racist, but voted for Hollande’s wealth tax, which the centre-right opposed, and even Macron half-opposed.

The failure of neo-liberalism, globalisation, etc, is also tangled with responses to climate/ecological breakdown. There are only 2 rational responses to this - the left’s (ie. urgent radical change to capitalism) and this new right’s: retire behind national barriers, gated communities and private islands and live out a selfish life even if all hell breaks loose. Hateful, but at least logically defensible if you really don’t care much about other people, or foreigners anyway.

1 Like