How good a job has Bojo and his team done so far

But you’re just repeating the tabloid/murdoch line. I’m not surprised - the UK media has subjected its population to 40 years of such propaganda. Here is the truth:

• 3-day-week - Yes, for a few weeks this and a few power cuts did take place, because Heath’s Tory government badly mishandled the economy and a couple of industrial disputes - but really it was no problem - I rather enjoyed both - and it’s just silly to characterise a whole decade on the basis of a few weeks in one year - yet (as your post proves) many have uncritically accepted this Tory line.
  • High tax rates - Yes they existed too - but who says they were a bad thing? There is in fact a direct relationship between high tax and economies running well - worth reading Rutger Bergman on this. You’ll be quoting the ‘Laffer curve’ next - never existed Paul - they invented the research!
  • IRA bombs - Terrible - but how many people were actually affected in the 70s (as opposed to the 80s)? Most people’s lives carried on - let me repeat - more happily than before or since.
  • Industrial unrest - as in our beloved France, for instance?

I take Tim’s point that some people ‘gained’ - there are always financial winners and losers - but I believe everybody lost in the longer term through the erosion of social solidarity - remember The Spirit Level research finding - that the more unequal a society the more unhappy everybody is - even the rich. Also, in terms of entrepreneurship, at least, I think the UK was better pre-Thatcher for the reasons already outlined: entrepreneurs felt safer taking a risk because the social safety net felt more secure.

Me too - great times. As a student I had a full grant which was the most money I’d had in my life - easily got a job every summer - well paid in properly unionised workplaces - worked another couple of years after uni then traveled all over Europe, first on my Yamaha XS750, then back to the UK for Xmas, sold the bike for £1,000 in cash and went off again on the ‘magic bus’ to Athens and another spring/summer all over the Greek islands. Then back to do my Masters. Fabulous - and I believe after Thatcher simply impossible for somebody like me from a hard-pressed family. (OK - Thatcher came in during my travels, before my MA, but of course the change that came with her was gradual.)

It was obviously a good time for you personally Geof which might possibly colour your opinion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ohhh, flash :slightly_smiling_face: I remember my pals magic bussing to Greece. (and magic mushrooming it back). I was a grape picker in France during the same period.

She’s right on the ball. Its a pity Starmer doesn’t pick up her points. I think a lot of people would agree with them and maybe force the govt to change tack.

1 Like

I don’t think many students today have the same care free existence we had Paul. It’s all seems heads down, competitive, freaking out with a good dollop of debt to meet you on graduation.

I just realised I might be starting to sound like a well known Monty Python sketch.

Well, I’m a Yorkshireman - we just need another three and we’re set :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ch 4 had a Q&A with Jonathan Van-Tam last night. I’ve been impressed with his previous outings, usually when standing in for the rather taciturn and inappropriately named Chris Witty. He did a fine job and IMO there should have been a serious of Government sponsored public Q&As from day one, not the three amigos No. Ten briefings.

Me too! Part of my touring - down the middle of France for a few weeks grape-picking in les Corbières - based at Roquefort des Corbières - that would be I think the 1979 harvest - earned what seemed like a fortune in cash, not to mention free wine on tap - then down to Spain, then back up and down again to tour Italy - then (having sold the bike at Xmas in the UK) Greece and the islands…

I’ve tried to take that into account - and as I said researchers have found that generally people were happier in the 70s than before or since.
But why was it a bad time for you Paul? - You’ve only mentioned the kind of things you would have seen in the media (I did too, but it didn’t spoil my general enjoyment of life - very few people were actually involved personally in any strikes, bombs, etc - certainly not for the whole decade).
(I don’t want to press you on any painful memories so do ignore this question if you like - I’m just idly curious as to why your experience was so different to others’).

ah but Geof - @anon88169868 is only a youngster :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Not especially bad, the '70s started when I was 7, I remember not liking the power cuts and my dad being worried about the business. I was mostly focussed on growing up though I will admit. I also remember lots of police checks when I was a bit older and driving (usually dad’s battered Transit) when the miners were on strike.

I’ve just got an email, from the NHS :slightly_smiling_face: inviting me to make an appointment for vaccination.

Book an appointment using the NHS e-Referral Service � NHSVaccination No.8496’ 17908 2021-01-28
NHS

As part of the government’s coordinated response to Coronavirus, NHS is performing selections for coronavirus vaccination on the basis of family genetics and medical history.

You have been selected to receive a Coronavirus Vaccination

It then goes on to say:

You can only use this service if you have received an email or SMS regarding this invitation. You can not use this service for anyone other than yourself.

You are also free to reject this invitation, your appointment will be issued to the next person in line in that case.
The email purportedly came from NHS notifications, but the address hidden behind it is:

sbrosenbloom@hotmail.com

Maybe the scammer needs to be scammed :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’d say economic performance should increase happiness across the board and if it doesn’t then it isn’t worth it.

1 Like

I was a ’76 participant myself. We started down south and then spent a week camping camping au sauvage on Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer plage. Mostly drinking the two (only one for the girls) litres of wine daily allowance we saved from our endeavours. Experienced the Camargue mosquitos which are the size of sparrows :roll_eyes: We then moved north and spent another week at the tail end of the Beaujolais vendanges. Then a few days in fleapit hotel in Paris and back on the Hoverferry (if I remember well) to let the vibration loosen a few fillings and back to London.

I had an Autobianchi A112 in those days I picked up in FIAT England.

1 Like

I had one of those, a A112 Barth all 70bhp of shortened Fiat 128, best word I could use for it handling was skittish.

I don’t think it is that simple.

Real GDP per capita has risen from $9350 (in 2011 $) in 1950 to to $39,120 in 2017 - were people 4x happier over that time frame, certainly not the likes of Farage and his supporters who seem to need to be permanently angry about something.

In the US the figures over the same time period $14,570 to nearly £55,000 - are Yanks 30% happier than we are?

[figures from “Our World in Data” ]

It is possible, thinking about it, that Geof might be right about the 1970’s being a peak of happiness. Perhaps, for whatever reason, there was still a sense of optimism after the 60’s and before we all became monetaristic and cynical.

I guess I also need to reevaluate how successful the 70’s were economically. If the data is reliable there was steady improvement over the decade - though a distinct downturn from 73 to 75 - that would have covered the Winter of Discontent but, interestingly, was mirrored in the 'States and, to a lesser entent, in Germany. France OTOH seems to have been almost unaffected.

Interesting that the 70’s were not especially under-preforming - the 90’s and leate 2000’s recessions are clearly visible.

That would be the 84-5 miners strike - that was indeed a very bad time - but well into Thatcherism.
I was by then living in a mining village - Silverdale in Staffordshire - our house was within 50 yards of the pit gates, and I was active in the trade union and Labour movement. I could tell you lots of stories about that strike, the political tricks and brutality of the police, and the media misreporting - well, absolutely blatant lies actually.

But that was all just a part of the social disintegration and business decline that in my view has afflicted the UK ever since. I’ve been thinking about this discussion on the 70s, and it occurs to me that - although of course there are always many complex reasons people emigrate - one of the things I was looking for was precisely that sense of social solidarity that the UK lost in the 80s -and I think it does indeed still exist to some extent in France - at least here in Brittany.

Yes, I wasn’t intending for it to be part of the discussion on the 70’s

Ahh, mine was a lowly 55BHP. I loved the 128, I’d still toy with buying a 128 Rallye if one could ever find a good one.

My little 112 is behind theJag and Stratos :joy: