How is the Brexit rumour mill affecting you?

Yesterday I had a disturbing telephone conversation with an old English friend who has lived in the Macon area for about as long as I can remember. Like many of us he has not honed his French language skills too much, having had French friends helping him along the way.
He has lived alone for almost all his 20+ years here but has now been affected by something I can only surmise is a rumour - which is that when Brexit happens those who can’t speak French (fluently? Effectively?) will be deported. His rumour is that a woman who lives near him, but who he doesn’t know has been deported for not being able to speak French. He thinks she is non-EU - Australian something like that, but apparently is/was also a long term resident of France.
He is in his 80’s now and so worried he has been persuaded by his English children that he should return to the UK, and is putting his house onthe market with that end in mind.
He is desperately unhappy about this as he loves France and where he lives, close to his friends. He is comfortably off, very independent, and does not want to be a burden in any way shape or form to his family.
I said I coudn’t believe this was anything other than a rumour, but wondered if anyone else has been affected by such talk?

There is a French law that is unequivocal, if you have been lawfully living here for 10 years you cannot be asked to leave regardless of your nationality.

Norman, I live in the Macon area and I would be only too pleased to speak to your friend and put his mind at rest.
Anyone over 60 does not have to take a french language test if they are applying for French nationality.
There is no language requirement for a Carte de Sejour.
Please private message me.

3 Likes

Thank you Jane, I will contact him first to see if he is agreeable, but I will certainly pass this on to him this morning by telephone.

1 Like

I’m sick to the teeth of all these rumours.

Unless your friend is below the radar… he has nothing to worry about and deserves to spend his days in the country he loves.

If he has not done Income Declarations… he needs to get started… but that is just paperwork.

Whatever… put his mind at rest, please.

1 Like

Norman, as others have said, it’s just utter tosh! How on Earth did immigrants in France get by before the EU came into being…? they most certainly didn’t have to speak French.

In any case, your friend in Macon has been here over 20 years! As Tim has said - he can’t be removed from French territory anyway (so long as he’s legal!)…

1 Like

Thanks Timothy, I admit I didn’t know that - I will add it to my call. If I may join this in reply to Stella, thanks and yes that is precisely what I am trying to do.

1 Like