How much do you use AI now?

But is AI plagiarising or simply doing the same research it would take us longer to do?
I have never aimed a question at AI but have become aware, partly because of the instant responses I get that that is in fact what I have been using.

I don’t care where advice comes from as long as, with a bit of due diligence, I can inform myself adequately for the task in hand.

However, I must hurry back in a few moments as I obviously failed to understand how to use a QR code to send a parcel back to A. :roll_eyes:

It probably depends on what you ask it to do. If I ask for real situational advice for my case on what TV to buy for my particular use, I don’t think I would call that plagiarism. If I ask it to write a sonnet with certain parameters on a certain subject and it pulls up something written by Sheakspeare, then…

Just done that and AI says At a Store/Shop Relais: Show the QR code to the shopkeeper, who will scan it and print the physical label for you. [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]ys:

Did that but the shopkeeper says he can’t read the QR code even though he shot it from several angles. Pretty sure I would get the same result if I took it to the local lockers, because that is what happened last time. :roll_eyes:

Ha ha, this is where AI falls down. I asked it what went wrong and what I should do. It said give the man the 8-12 digit code below the QR and he will put it in manually. I had foreseen this and taken a clear pic of that code but the shopkeepers said it can’t be done.

Back to AI which now says ‘He is perfectly correct’ :astonished_face:

Sounds like a human bean to me. :roll_eyes:

No, it’s summarising commonalities within the mainly english language sources that it has skimmed.

My experience of sending stuff via relais and/or lockers is that I repeatedly failed to read the instructions properly as to whether I had to print label at home, take it to post office to print, use QR code (and which QR code as there was one on initial email but another when I opened the mail properly) or just a code.

Another reason I prefer to go to real shops with real humans.

1 Like

But I did Jane this was a real shop with a real person, I deliberately ignored the lockers which were closer to home.
I know what will happen if I tell A, they will do what they did before and say ‘OK, keep it and we’ll send you the refund anyway.’
Not something a real shop and person would do but I don’t want to get a bad rep with A.

1 Like

Except that it was a person who was just following instructions , and not actually responsible for any customer service to you.

You mean he doesn’t have a vested and monetary interest in what he does? Not sure how you arrive at that conclusion, he isn’t a volunteer like a lifeboatman, he is running a business just like any shopkeeper. Sorry Jane, but I feel you are grasping at straws here.

Perhaps the question is really more of whether that which is being labelled as AI is in fact AI at all. Take the alleged AI answer to a Google search. Has any actual degree of intelligence been used to formulate the answer given, or is that which is presented simply the result of a super fast search and correlation of pre-existing information gathered from the internet.

Surely the only true AI is where it can come up with a solution to a problem which has never been previously considered.

Interestingly enough, the AI overview to the question of ; Is an AI Overview based on the use of intelligence or just a super fast correlation of previously known facts ? is that;
"An AI Overview is primarily a highly advanced correlation of previously known facts, rather than genuine, human-like intelligence. It relies on pattern recognition, statistical probabilities, and massive datasets to synthesize answers instantly.
While it can appear “intelligent” because it understands language structure and context, it does not possess actual comprehension, original thought, or independent reasoning."

Therefore the whole thing is clearly misnamed, and what is being put forward as AI isn’t in fact AI at all.
So how about calling what it is, namely SFCSE (Super Fast Correlated Search Engine).

1 Like

Give those up, Lidl do a very inexpensive drain inspection camera which with a bit of practice, I’m told, and a jar of vaseline you can do it yourself in the privacy of your own home. I mean, what’s a subsequent bit of a limp for a few days anyway?

Seriously, I’m glad the results were good :slightly_smiling_face:

I like the extended search aspect, I don’t like it coming to conclusions.

Do you use Google? Do you remember what it was like trying to get information on any particular subject. Ai is just a faster way of doing what Google does. The software is written in a pleasant chatty way that makes you forget that you are using a machine.

I have been using AI a lot recently in a complicated question involving Bulgarian law and a British insurance company. Without AI to do the research I would still be wondering what to do next.

Another use involved electrical wiring of solar panels. It pointed out that some information I had been given by ‘experts’ had been completely wrong.

It has to be closely supervised as it is not ‘intelligent’ if you do not ask the question in the right way you get the wrong answer. It is a research tool and like any Google response you have to check it.

Just received the following SMS

I took a screen shot and posted it to CoPilot asking if it was genuine. It confirmed it was a scam. listed all the reasons why it was a scam. Told me not to click on any link. Told me to delete it. Told me how to report it. And told me to check bank accounts to make sure nothing has already been taken (it hasn’t).

AI can be VERY useful.

1 Like

I think about €0.30 per parcel. Not a great motivator to go above and beyond his book of instructions.

To date I have never used it. I conciously avoid it though fully recognize my abstinence achieves nothing in the face of the ongoing rollercoaster.

1 Like

But it’s important that we each use AI thoughtfully, and according to our principals/interests.

I’ve been using it to make music and even though it’s really good at doing it, it doesn’t feel right.

But maybe I’ll get used to it eventually and it will feel normal.

I respect your opinion but maybe people will be thinking differently in ten years or so when we are at the mercy of artificial intelligence.

Do not negate the fact that development is controlled (to date) by both well meaning individuals and those in it purely to make money. It is a small step to pure evil.

2 Likes

I use it almost every day, I run linux and its incredibly useful for debugging scripts and creating things. With its help I created a script to listen to a french program and generate subtitles for it. Also very good for translation. As long as you use your own brain to check what it gives you and not follow it blindly. Like when using a calculator you should be able to tell if the answer is correct