How often do you eat meat...?

People looking for organic meat - try a site like this https://www.mangeons-local.bzh/produits-locaux/eleveurs-locaux-boeuf-bretagne/

My OH is vegetarian, so I know something of this. Things are slowly improving in most areas, even here in the Auvergne, although we are still a long way off from what you can find in metropolitan UK, Canada, or the US in terms of variety and choice at reasonable prices.

We have found that the vast majority of the restaurants in the rural area where we live don’t cater for vegetarians - at best, they will offer goat’s cheese or mushrooms (we daren’t ask which fat they might be cooked in), or else green leaf salad, but hold the lardons, and the gésiers, tuna or cheese !

Things are marginally better in our nearby town, where at least you can get a vegetarian pizza (even without cheese if you so wish) from at least one restaurant. The Auvergne is very much traditionally a “meat and 2 veg” (well, actually mostly potato) area, so dining out tends to be heavily meat oriented (or else fish).

If you are gluten-free and veggie, and lactose-intolerant, well, you can simply forget the dining out experience, except possibly in Clermont Ferrand, where you might find one or two restaurants to accommodate your particular culinary penchant (or requirement). To be fair, most of our circle of friends don’t get it either, which is why we also tend not to go out to dinners, as we know that there won’t be much, if anything for my wife, and we fear being considered as the “troublesome couple” difficult to cook for, or else she brings her own food (which really kind of defeats the purpose of going out).

2 Likes

When our friends cooked vegetarian food for us it was invariably a dish of beans of some sort - usually scrumptous in my eyes but OH didn’t dare tell people he wasn’t keen on beans! (Pulses, that it, he likes green beans).

Hii i am not replying to you specifically but to everyone who is reading this. New to forum. Just sharing my 50 pence, do give break to your stomach if you eat meat, atleast 6 to 8 hours. Eat less meat, as it’s acidic in nature but do eat meat, as it contains enzymes etc which our body needs. Sorry :pray: not offending anyone, if you don’t eat meat or vegetarian then it’s all good too. I respect your compassion for animals. Must fast as it detox and repair your body. Continuous fasting like we do 30 days. Can be hard, eat or drink nothing at all or just water.
There’s a YouTube documentary in Serbia they use fasting to cure asthma. It’s proper clinic with doctors and nurses. After 3 days they stop all your medicines, you only have water to drink. They have massage and its located in woods. If i find again link i will share it.
Hope it will benefit.

4 Likes

Whilst I agree fasting can be very beneficial I cannot agree with meat being being acidic when the digestive system it is entering is hydrochloric acid making it a moot point

Welcome Ashan :+1:

3 Likes

And some of the enzymes only function at acidic pH ^^

Interesting point about acidic meat. I know three people (male) that always have stomach problems the day after eating beef :thinking:

3 Likes

Yes interesting, my mum (early 70s) hasn’t been able to eat beef due to pain for about 30 years!

There is an interesting book called Spoon Fed by Professor Tim Spector - a real professor not one who is a professor from the school of energy circles - that I found very interesting. He looks at research for and against various theories, and unpicks some of the inbuilt bias from eg food production companies.

Anyway, leaving a significant gap between your last meal of one day and the first meal of the next is something his analysis supports. (Although something I find impossible to do as our meal is an important part of our evening and wouldn’t be the same at 5pm).

2 Likes

Yes Jane, an excellent prof who like some others like Dr Aseem Malhotra are dispelling the myths and misconceptions surrounding our food. The rubbish spoken by the food industry and those with their pockets lined through others obesity, heart disease and diabetes.

1 Like

Does the prof give an indication of how long is significant?

If it is the same theory I’ve read about - it is a form of intermittent fasting so you try to eat all your food in an 8 hour period so late breakfast / brunch and then an early’ish dinner. Although you could do 12 / 8pm or what ever suits you. You then ‘fast’ for 16 hours giving your body time to use up fat / sugar etc. it’s shown to be benficial for those with blood sugar issues, T2 diabetes and pre-diabetes. I could never get on with the whole 5 / 2 fasting thing as got too hungry having whole days off but I can happily fit all my food into 8 hours.

2 Likes

Works well for burning visceral fat as well and thats the danger area, fat around liver etc

1 Like

Well worth watching IMO

3 Likes

We do that here too (although my husband is more keen on it then I am) breakfast around 8am, lunch around 12 and a meal by 5pm.
Unfortunately it then gets messed with a glass or two of red during the evening :grin: However I have lost about 5kg over the last year or so.

1 Like