How to visit to find a good town

Slight correction - it’s https://app.dvf.etalab.gouv.fr/

Ooops, sorry, misunderstood. I thought you were coming over to move here. :roll_eyes:

How I wish we could, but I am married to The Anchor, so here we stay and we just get tastes of France.

Billybutcher, you are right, but how did you make that URL work? When I dropped in the URL I got a message in the right-side box that I couldn’t figure out so I shortened it.

I’ve checked that website so often that if I type “dvf” in the focus box, the website comes up.

Oh, not seen this site before. Very useful - thanks!

I was confused too but looked back and @Holly was the original poster!

2 Likes

I have lived in the Languedoc for many years. Mostly in the PO. There are concentrations of Anglophones along the Ceret/Prades corridor but in reality they pop up all over the place. Given the topography we enjoy several micro climatic areas. For example we grow citrus fruits in our garden, even the occasional banana, Yet we will see snow on the high ground behind us. The area is rich in history and archaeological remains. Everything from dolmens to WW2 German fortifications.

Gus

3 Likes

My new area. My son has bananas growing in his garden, several bunches this past summer. I have not met any other brits around this area of Perpignan but then I don’t go out looking for them as had enough of all that in the early years of Brittany when we were pestered daily for help or forming enclaves to which OH told most to FO (he never minced his words) I find it can be pouring over my house yet my family 5kms away by the beach have full sunshine, never a dull day down here!

1 Like

Gus, I enjoyed visiting the old dynamite factory to the west of Argéles. It was a very pleasant place to walk and find out more and the little workplace making traditional boats too!

Glad you enjoyed Paulilles. Your story rings a bell. Some years back we met a couple on a flight back to the UK. They had moved to the PO from Dordogneshire. They felt trapped in the local anglophone community which they likened to an endless rollercoaster. Once you got on you could never get off.

We occasionally notice English speakers when shopping in Lidl outside the holiday season.

The only aspect of living down here that narks me is the Catalan thing. The local media took up the cause with a vengeance. Suddenly we were all branded as Catalans. The funny thing is that, being English speakers, French people will openly, and without any prompting, express their views on the subject. They have now done this at the ballot box as the right wing parties gather support from people who do not want their French identity diluted.

Gus

That is a sad situation in which to find oneself… however there really is no need to get on the rollercoaster in the first place.

During last summer, our commune had several evening soirées…
As a local volunteer, my role was to meet & greet visitors.
I was astounded at the number of Brits who came along.
Beginning in French, I often had to drop into English for them… and then discovered that many of them lived within 10-20 kilometres… and yet I’d never met 'em before…

I haven’t seem 'em since either… :wink:

1 Like

Paulilles, yes that was it, I could not remember it off the top of my head. Very sad at getting all wrapped up last tuesday to go to Font Remou and all we had to walk in was mud and grass, no snow and such a loss for the local communes to make their money. Yes the FN or whatever they are called now are big down here and they are gaining all the time. My little corner of the new lotissement I have bought on is mostly Moroccan, Turkish,Spanish, me the only brit and a few french thrown in for flavour. Everyone is very friendly and help each other when needed. My local branch of CA has a lovely lady who deals with new accounts and I asked her if there were any brits and she said none that she knew of in this bit but her BIL was british!