How was your first day+ at 80kph?

I would be quite happy if speed limits were placed on stretches of road where speed was known to be a contributory factor in road accidents but a blanket 80kmh limit is not the same thing. It’s been made more of a nonsense by the departments have removed all 70kmh zones since the 80 limit was introduced.

1 Like

I guess to have 80kmph as the limit only where there was a problem with speeding might require some effort of mind.

But I have to admit it is frustrating to be driving done one of France’s many dead straight, wide, roads such as this one

Wondering why, exactly 80kmph should be any different to 90kmph in terms of risk, and 90kmph is many car’s most efficient speed for fuel economy.

I agree somewhat that driving in France has changed, our first visit was in 1965 when we went to the Med, there were no noticeable speed limits, and we went as fast as the car would allow.
The population of vehicles has gradually increased to the point were there has to be a control.
We were used to travelling at 90 most of the time and one gets used to the hum of the engine.
now we are gradually getting used to a new engine hum at 80, a bit quieter though as the engine is less stressed.
I dont understand 4th or 5th gears though, our car as soon as it reaches 50 it is put in 5th and it stays there hills or not, only change down for the 30 limits.
Our car is 1.9 JTD and is extremely economical at 80, we buy €40 every four weeks.
It is not logical to say 90 is more economical than 80, The accelerator is set to less fuel consumption at 80 than at 90,

That road is unstable at anything over 70, and the impact damage from a deer coming out of the trees would destroy your car at 90 or more.
Bad example.

Get real Barry! My car often needs more throttle uphill at a constant 80 in top gear than it would at 90kmh and therefore uses more fuel.

1 Like

Disagree - there’s rather a lot more open field to that road, had I moved the viewpoint back.

In any case there is a limited amount you can do, even at 70kmph if a deer springs out at you very close - and many of France rural roads are at risk of deers popping up unexpectedly. Unless you wish the government to drop all unfenced roads to 70, that is.

You would use more fuel achieving 90 on the approach to the hill than if you feathered the accelerator at 80 then more on the hill.
I disagree with your logic which does not make sense.
Barry

You cannot possibly know that. There is a hp curve, there is a torque curve and then there are gear ratios and final drive ratios.
90 in 6th is more economical than 80 in 5th in mine. That’s tested because I was interested to see.

1 Like

Lets disagree, I have the car and the experience of driving it. I came across two different cars driving at 60kmh on the open road today, now that really was dangerous.

Coming back from our ‘big town’ yesterday I was stuck between 2 lorries, the 1st one doing 85 kmph and the second up my rear end. So if I wanted to overtake, because quite frankly the guy behind was a pratt and a danger, it would have meant me breaking the law .
As it was I had a white knuckle drive until a tractor slowed down the first lorry, and of course all following vehicles, my superior acceleration meant that I could then safely overtake the lot of them!

2 Likes

I find that cars which join the road and then refuse to speed up… are downright dangerous as well…

I’ve no problem with them insisting on going in front… and I would lift my foot to allow them some leeway… but forcing me to brake violently to avoid their boot… is just not on… :roll_eyes::neutral_face::zipper_mouth_face:

I hope to watch this on Sunday evening, should be an eye opener…

Ce dimanche 14 octobre, ne manquez pas l’émission Capital à 21h sur M6. État des routes, 80km/h, radars : enquête sur le vrai prix de notre sécurité routière !

After several months of ‘giving it a chance’ I declare that I strongly dislike the 80kph speed limit. I am aware that I now spend an inordinate amount of time looking at the dash when I should be keeping my eyes on the road. It is distracting with somebody driving right on the bumper whilst I decide whether to increase speed to 83 or 84 or even more knowing that the speedo always over states anyway. I also now have to consider whether to shift down to 4th or even 3rd while I listen to the engine labouring.
I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles in total safety during my years on the road and find it aggravating that I am now more ‘on edge’ than ever before.

2 Likes

I think this is true in many/most cars.

The weather is beautiful here today and I’m heading out for a lunch rendezvous with some friends. I’m travelling by motorbike on rural roads. I will be looking at the road not the speedometer while I am outside of built up areas. If some people think that I am being unreasonable tough.

:relaxed::relaxed::relaxed: Have a lovely lunch David…:relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

I will try :slight_smile:

We find it annoying when lorries and cars come racing through our town at ridiculous speeds, should be 50, But when a bike races through our town, to me that`s OK.
I suppose I am biased as an ex biker, just the way it is! I like the sound of a bike working hard regardless of the number of cylinders.

We had a boat/barge called SULTAN come through on Monday it was 1 and 1/2 carriageways wide, that slowed them down!

"It is not logical to say 90 is more economical than 80, The accelerator is set to less fuel consumption at 80 than at 90,"
I’m sorry but the laws of physics, torque, horsepower, and gearing get in the way of that simplistic statement.
Our car is not a turbo diesel like yours and when going up a gradient at 90 the revs are near the top of the torque curve and therefore goes up without effort. At 80 the revs are below the top of the torque curve so dropping down a gear is necessary to prevent the engine bucking and coughing. So driving at 80 with higher revs wastes fuel.

1 Like

It’s going to be a lot simpler with electric cars :relaxed: with full torque available from the off, the higher speed will use more electric simples