Huissiers?

I have been told this a couple of times, recently by a friend who has lived in France for many years. I am on my own but have friends who would help but I’m scared I would get arrested as this couple are barking mad Brits!!!

Are the utilities still being paid for?

They set up their own electric and phone accounts. They were supposed to sell stuff of mine (agreed as part of house sit) and put money into bank to cover utilities. Didn’t happen, agreement broken!!

I now have to get my previous utilities sorted as unpaid and bank into black as no funds put in. Gggrrr … I hate feeling angry/sad/mistrusting

Not my nature

Susan, are you saying that the electricity and water accounts are still in your name but the bills aren’t being paid?

Hi Susan

What part of France are you in? If you were nearby in Brittany I’d be glad to oblige - I enjoy this kind of caper!

Sadly I’m not due back (from Australia) for a few weeks yet…

Do you know any imposing / beefy 30 something lads with a firm but polite and compelling manner and the message ‘…then here’s what happens next…’ if you dont vacate within say 48 hours…(too long and they have time to guess / prepare).

Even better if you know any similar French beefy lads to intimidate…

Remember the law is on your side of course, even if its servants are not keen to act.

Alec

The law is (sadly) not always on the side of the owner of the property. Minefield even with workaways etc so beware everybody!!

No the utilities weren’t paid? They set up their own in my house which you can legally do in France apparently!! Tread cautiously potential renters/workaway hirers/hosts!

I wouldn’t wish my situation on anybody

If the utility bills haven’t been paid I’m surprised the respective companies have kept the supply open.

You must be very tempted to damage a water pipe then. I would be. Externally of course.

Hi Sue - same name as my wife!

Sorry to hear you are so pessimisssstic. What support do you have (able bodied men / feisty women - numbers / guard dogs / French well-wishers) and what part of France are you in? Poetically incorrect I know but do you have robust husband / son / feisty daughter on hand?

Is your property in a town (large / small) or in the isolated countryside?

What is the ‘profile’ of your squatters? - number / age / circumstances / details of your property / time period of occupation / access to property / time in residence / documented basis of your approval for them to take up residence?

Why do you think your squatters feel so secure in their actions?

Where are you at present UK or France?

And at the end of the day how much can you reasonably pay to have them gone? This is definitively not for my benefit (I’m sufficiently well-off and your unjust situation and similar others bothers me) - just to evaluate what professional ‘services’ may be available. I’m happy to research that but promis nothing.

You can contact me on alecogray@gmail.com and my credentials are on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alec-gray-73383b13

I offer nothing but free advice and support at this stage and my offer may amount to nothing.

Alec

are you willing to pay

Thank you for all your advice. I am on my own as ex partner abandoned me under the guise of returning to UK to earn funds to continue our property renovations. I sold my house to fund everything…we weren’t married. Unfortunately his name got put on the deeds!!!

I won’t do anything illicit and have passed it over to legal professional solicitors now. That’s me working all the hours God sends to pay for it all. I live with my Daughter sleeping on her sofa, and have nothing of my own in the UK.

I am tempted by use of Huissiers etc but the advice is so much and varied and I don’t want to do anything wrong. Stupid I know.

I am hopeful !!! That’s my nature !!

1 Like

Keep smiling Susan… it will work out in the end…:thinking::roll_eyes::hugs::hugs:

:grin::arrow_left:me smiling xx

2 Likes