I don't know what you think

I really think you’ve misunderstood it on almost every level Karen:
It now seems indeed that your comments are not about the way The Guardian reported it, but the fact that it was reported at all - but it’s in all the papers, so your criticism of The Guardian is unfair.
You’re missing the details that make it unlike a normal ‘briefing’ - including the fact that this was a budget disguised as not-a-budget (and therefore should have been subject to the usual budget restrictions).
Nobody sees it as normal - even Kwarteng, who has now indeed apologised for doing it !

We both know that timing, as they say, is everything Karen :slightly_smiling_face: The fact that Kwarteng didn’t understand that just underpins my view that he’s a naive ideologue who is playing to the gallery, be they hedge fund managers or those paying 45%.

1 Like

No, my comments were about the way the Guardian reported it. As in the article you linked. I don’t have time to read much UK Press and that was all I commented on.

The British Press winding each other up is not a new phenomenon. And neither is someone issuing an apology just provoked by this, whether it should be necessary or not. As I’ve said, I don’t think it was right. But I will bet you it’s not uncommon for a group of Party supporters (even, heaven forbid, supporters of tthe Labour Party) to be invited to an event just for them, after a key event or statement.

Yeah I agree with you on the budget-not-budget lark. It annoyed me with Sunak too.

Not really. Your comments have not actually said anything about the way The Guardian (in particular) reported it - indeed your last post explicitly extended your objection to ‘the British press’ in general rather than one title.
I agree the British press is generally awful - The Guardian (as Churchill might have said) is the worst British newspaper- apart from all the others !

I think I’ve said it was snide and similar to ‘politics of class/wealth envy’ style writing similar to the Daily Mail. It just drips it. It was about a perfectly normal event in political life so far as I can tell and I agreed the optics at this time were poor.

I have explained I don’t have a computer currently available to take the article into Word, and yellow pencil and comment all over it word for word and paste it back again here Nor would I think it appropriate. We are not in a university class and I’m not submitting work for marking here.

1 Like

With no little trepidation

The rather chilling conclusion:

“Once Truss is out of the way, the ultimate Brexit paradox may yet materialise: a horrific boost for the very kind of politics its failure ought to have killed stone dead.”

May be likely……