I wondered lonely

Are we all natural born poets? Well, per capita, we seem to have an inordinately high number of poets, writers, musicians. Don’t know why, but my own theory? Now dere’s a ting. “Trapped” on a small rock out in the Atlantic ocean, dominated by Catholicism - i.e., no sex outside marriage and so forth -what the h*ll else was there to do but compose poems, stories, music. :slight_smile:

@ Sheila

Yes, I once knew ‘another’ Irishman, who was an absolute charmer( now dares a ting ) he added phrasettes such as:

“is dat a fact”

“well oi never did”

He had a whole library of these lovely phrases, which he would pepper into any conversation. ( he once admitted to me that he was actually cultivating his Irish-ness )

I did catch him out one day, when it dawned on me that he had competed a whole sentence of ‘phrases’ which in context, made no sense at all, but sounded great. ( now dares a ting )

are all Irish people natural born poets?

ignore my OH, she can’t do accents!

Indeed, now there’s a thing - Hiberno-English can cause some confusion! :slight_smile:

@Michelle

it’s more like “now, dares a ting”

hello Sheila,

we have an Irish friend who is always saying, now there’s a thing.

Sorry, Michelle, I forgot to have my coffee this morning, so brain a bit slow. What do you mean?

@ Sheila

Irish indeed, now there’s a thing

Morning, Mr. Birks. The only link between them is that they are all Irish, and I realised I omitted Oscar Wilde.

is there some kind match on? is it chess? or suffink?

Interesting list there, Mrs. Walshe-Blackmore, tell me, is there some sort of link between these poets? and, time allowing, can you recite any of their works…by heart? I’ll be with you shortly , still drying out my fireworks…thanks to Riki

Ireland play South Africa tomorrow in the Autumn international series, so wearing my Irish jersey, I offer the following from my list of favourites.

William Butler Yeats
Jonathan Swift
James Joyce
Patrick Kavanagh
Spike Milligan
Eavan Boland
Seamus Heaney

does anyone have a hair dryer?

Thanks for the comment Ben. Not a fan I gather?

The best poet is a dead poet, it renders them a bit famous and less pretentious.

(Or as Kafka so eloquently stated: "In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite") ;-)

Pure Poetry, well done.

Pic of Lechlade on Thames...