Illegal UK Registered cars in France

Could be the tax civil servants are on more money :wink:

Thatā€™s totally unacceptable Bob. I would have given her Hell. Sheā€™s even worse than my gang were.

I suspect that Bob did not have sufficient French to challenge herā€¦ and ask what was wrong with the dossier ā€¦ :thinking:

If Iā€™d started, Iā€™d have had to have been removed

3 Likes

I had sufficient French to challenge what she said Stella

but was really not in the mood for a fightā€¦

I feel vindicated that Mandy appears to have had the same experience with the same woman

2 Likes

Bob, Iā€™ve been thereā€¦similar situation with a very overworked official. Fair enough there was no swearing, but she simply kept pushing the dossier back.
I spoke carefully, but insistently, and asked her what was wrong/missingā€¦ had to ask her twiceā€¦ then she pointed out that one of the documents did not bear the correct name, thus the papertrail was not complete.

Blastā€¦ went back home checked the files and found the correct paperā€¦ then back the next morning and all went well.

If you had spoken to her politelyā€¦ you might have found out what she was going on aboutā€¦

Not getting at you Bobā€¦ it can be awful if someone is rudeā€¦ and in public tooā€¦ but we must not let them get away with it. Itā€™s down to us to bring such folk back to earthā€¦

(had my lady sworn at me, I would have asked her to repeat her words, so that I might properly understandā€¦ and I reckon that might have given her a short sharp shock)

I was polite at all times Stellaā€¦which is one of the reasons I left itā€¦really didnā€™t any nonsense

I checked everything when I got home; checked with those that told me I had all the necessaryā€¦

As you say, she may have had a bad day; also the day Mandy went thereā€¦& others that I know that have been.

At least now, any application I make wonā€™t involve me speaking to herā€¦fingers crossed :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Very true, my tax folk are very pleasant and helpful. Their rejects must end up in CG processing Hell.

I have a large motor home on a Fiat Ducato chassis. I cannot get a Carte Grise as the French class it as a lorry not a Private Light Goods. My UK insurance covers me 365 days a year. I get a Control Technique every two years to keep the French happy and have it MOTā€™d in the uk each year. It is also UK taxed. I let my friends use it in the UK for three months during summer as they play at many Music festivals. I use it in the UK for about two months per year visiting and shopping for craft beer. I have done this for 6 years. Please tell me Iā€™m ok as I cannot find anything illegal. (Bet you Iā€™m wrong.:flushed:

1 Like

Does it really matter what anyone saysā€¦ youā€™ve been doing this for 6 years already and, obviously, feel happy to continueā€¦ Donā€™t poke the tigerā€¦:roll_eyes::wink::wink:

Agreed Simonā€¦ but I suspect Grahamā€™s situation is not as clearcut as someā€¦ and his ā€œbet you Iā€™m wrongā€ is just too twee for meā€¦

but then, today is the pits anywayā€¦ tomorrow will be betterā€¦ guaranteed :hugs:

1 Like

@Graham_Davies

Iā€™ve decided to poke the tigerā€¦ are you Resident in Franceā€¦ and do you have a French Driving Licence ??

Cā€™mon guys - the last responses were not really very ā€˜spirit of SFā€™ - the guy has been very upfront about his situation- who knows what is / are the rights and wrongs (certainly not me!!)
These kind of responses donā€™t do anyone any favours - and certainly donā€™t make SF a ā€˜go toā€™ site :frowning:

3 Likes

sorry @cat ā€¦ Iā€™ve actually been looking into why the French authorities are not happy to give the MH a carte grise. It could be something to do with the Weightā€¦ ???.. but, as I have said, we do not have enough info.

Also, a serious point. If Graham is resident in Franceā€¦ he will need to have a French licence after Brexit. and the French licence is not quite so forgiving as the UK oneā€¦ he might find himself without the necessary classification to drive the MH ā€¦ unless, of course, he has his HGV alreadyā€¦ got to be worth discussing, rather than finding out too late.

I suspect that Graham would need to take the MH to DREAL and get it passed/tested by them (or whoever)ā€¦as it was obviously not a straightforward registration processā€¦

When you had to go to the Prefecture to register vehicles and trailers, I took along my dossiers for three trailers. One I noticed didnā€™t have the correct CoC paperwork, so I held that back. I was asked for the registration document for the trailers. I explained that trailers and caravans were not registered in the UK. The Clerk then demanded from me what date she should put on the Certificat dā€™immatriculation. I suggested the build date as was written on the CoC. She was not happy with that and said she would confer with a colleague. She returned and triumphantly said that she would use the date that I bought it. I said ā€˜But that will make it six years newer than it really isā€™. She was not concerned and did that for the second trailer too. I returned the following week with the correct CoC paperwork that Ifor Williams very kindly sent me when I had scanned to them what I had received. I saw the same lady Clerk who refused to register the trailer stating the paperwork was incorrect. It wasnā€™t. It was exactly the same as the other dossiers! Iā€™ve let that slide as we donā€™t use and must register it on-line as we intend to sell it.

That is as I understand it Stella - and have resigned myself to having to do that myself when the time comes. Ours is a UK coachbuilt (Autotrail) on a Mercedes chassis, but is too old to have a CoC (apparently). It also has a GVW of 3.8T which I imagine will make it ā€˜interestingā€™ as it is taxed as a private heavy goods vehicle in the UK but registered as a motorhome.

Camping cars of any weight are classed as VASP. If your camper does not have a full coc it will need inspecting by DREAL. You might also need an inspection by Veritas for the living accommodation.

They are funcionaires a job for life, canā€™t be sacked, and can be as lazy and horrible as they choose . You get them all over but you do get helpful people too.

I can confirm that DREAL Inspections are nothing to fearā€¦

1 Like