I'm muting all political threads now

Now that made me smile😆
I have no interest in the topic and for the few times I pop my head in to have a look it seems to be look at me I did it in 2 lines or something like that.
Last time I looked there were 370 unread posts and as i dont like to mute any topic, or anyone, in case I might miss something I simply jump it to the latest post, job done.

2 Likes

quite simple really… I have family in the UK and I remain quite rightly concerned about their welfare. Simple really :roll_eyes:

What exactly do you think is going to happen to them Graham?

2 Likes

A good question.

Must admit, I worry about my UK family. When I see villages I know well, now offering foodbank facilities to locals who would otherwise go hungry… I have to ask myself what the heck is going on… or rather what has been going on since we left… that things have come to this.

I can’t change things, worrying doesn’t help… yes, I know that… but, being a Mum/Nan/Aunt… I do care about the present and the future.

6 Likes

perhaps turn that question round @plod
Why are you on this site at all?

I’ve always felt, and have posted over the years, that IMO SF seems to perform a dual role. It is a treasure trove of practical information on moving to and living France, but it is also a forum for people to exchange views on the land of our birth. I don’t think both roles are mutually exclusive and one might find that interest in both drive people to the site. As you write, I guess one can pick and choose the bits that are interest :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

An interesting point and one I have thought about. I see myself as a guest in France (until and when I get my act together for citizenship, as you have done) so I feel a strange dislocation, apart from on a local level my votes don’t count so I just must accept what my hosts decide to do. I feel a far greater responsibility for what is going on in the UK.

1 Like

Haven’t we now lost the right for local voting post Brexit?

I’ve an Irish passport too. Though to be fair it’s not a flag of convenance, I lived there for many years, on and off.

1 Like

Ahh you are lucky then, sorry I did know that but forgot!

1 Like

Don’t be like that Graham, this just reinforces that AM is right.

1 Like

I must admit, perhaps I’m being naive but I didn’t take it as a sarky retort but a nod to the fact that we can still take a close interest in a country in which we no longer live. Just because we’re not resident somewhere now doesn’t mean we have to ‘stay in our lane’, our interest in what happens across the water (whichever side our feet are currently on) doesn’t just vanish because we’re not there.

9 Likes

On a personal note, I’m more inclined to the views and sentiments expressed by @Jane_Williamson and @John_Scully
in edit: and you can add @kirsteastevenson to that list too :slightly_smiling_face:

You don’t have to read them. Just scroll through to appreciate the permanent superstar that is Vero, and the ephemeral shooting stars that are the rest of is!

5 Likes

The problem for me is not that people discuss politics, but the sheer level of vicious poison (and occasional bit of character assassination of members as well as politicians) poured out.

1 Like

well, @Ancient_Mariner you are certainly doing your bit with the midweek humour topic #no-politics-please tag which is being respected. Well done :+1:

1 Like

Spot on AM, the forum is known for being anti all things UK be that politics or otherwise. Anyone challenging that or offering a different view is either shouted down or told to eff off (politely of course).

Not everyone has a rhino hide and many have been put off participating but given that SF has 0000’s of members they’re just collateral damage.

4 Likes

tut such negativity :roll_eyes:

Says the man who always refers to the UK as ‘plague island’. :wink: