I'm muting all political threads now

or force fed andouillette :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

That would be a waste of good food that people could eat. I think rocks would be a good substitute :grin:

I absolutely will not eat ‘spare parts’: kidney, liver, tongue, cheeks, brain, or tripe!

Fair enough… we all have our likes and dislikes.

Frankly, unless something looks absolutely disgusting… I’ve always been ready to give it a try. Throw back to childhood where if one didn’t eat what was on one’s plate, one went hungry.

Butg, when one can make a choice, that’s different.
I noticed the work “porc” on the menu de jour and told OH confidentally… this’ll be OK… it’s Pork…
It came, a steaming bowl of braised meat and it was so delicious that I asked the waitress which “cut” it was…
That was another bit of fun… she started explaining to us, saw my eyes glaze at her fast French, went off and came back with another who explained in careful detail.

Well, we’d licked our plates clean, so didn’t give it another thought. Looked for it in our butchery and found it was cheap as chips.
Several hours in the slowcooker… and it was glorious.

1 Like

On basic principles you shouldn’t eat nervous tissue like brains because of prion disease transmission like CJD. OTOH I really like liver and kidney - my English grandmother would make kidney pie for me instead of steak and kidney because the only beef we could afford was unpleasant.

OH adored his mothers steak-and-kidney pies but would carefully put on the side of his plate every piece of kidney he found… it was just the flavour the kidney gave to the gravy that he was after. (I’m glad he did that… I used to snaffle his rejects).
('cos I couldn’t cook in the early days… MiLaw would make pies for us, to ensure we didn’t starve).

1 Like

I was always much happier cooking than my wife, and although she’s got some good dishes now, it’s far less stressful for me to knock something up.

1 Like

We often do a Ready, Steady, Cook together, but he doesn’t like having to cook on his own, although he will if I’m unwell.
He’s always very concerned for my health, when it’s getting towards meal times. :rofl: :wink:

1 Like

I love the fact that this thread has morphed to one on cookery. :grin:

2 Likes

much better than politics…

Absolutely.

See what you would have missed :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Until the ‘left wing’ chef starts arguing with the ‘right wing’ cook over how long souffles should be left in the oven for. :grinning:

1 Like

Twice cooked soufflés work just fine! More reliable too.

(But I think the left wing would be the cook, and the right wing the chef?)

2 Likes

:grin:
Won’t the chef have a sharper knife and better filleting skills than the cook?

This sounds like the old joke about the way to a man’s heart is with a sharp knife into the chest cavity.

I’m sure that if left in the oven for the correct time, a soufflé would be all right.

3 Likes

I do not consider any of those parts as ‘spare’, they are all essential to life.

2 Likes

People cook them at home. The freezer shops always have them, you get them frozen straight or yoga.

Ahh Tim, you’re a Bake off fan. Who would have guessed🤭

I used to live in France and but for family reasons , I would still be there. I would not be gloating or worried about my relatives and friends in the UK. France has plenty of problems of its own, not that you would think so when reading this forum. You are probably right to question my appearance on the site, and now might be a good time to bow out.