I'm old, not stupid

Mineral oil, like sewing machine, castor oil ect. Not vegetable oil that leaves a deposit. Only a drop needed each time. IF it is a waterproof clipper like ours you can also dip in water and that gives enough lubrication for a beard.

J does his hair and beard and we also cut RĂ©my’s haĂŻr, saves us so much money.

Yes, one of ours is a Wahl and had it over 10 years I’d say.

I think that i needs a little haircut of its own :joy:

2 Likes

Could the Baby Bliss have been your wife’s one for under arms :wink: hence why you don’t remember buying it.

1 Like

That’s my oil of choice too, just a light lube every morning.

Oops, had switched my phone keyboard to French to get his accent! I have seen that word but never used it and had to look it up so thank you, a seemingly obvious and basic word that seems to have passed me by :rofl:

1 Like

Blimey, you’ve had that a while.

Have you looked to see if there’s any chance of replacement blades?

Mind you built in obsolescence means you can’t get spare parts for just about anything these days.

People don’t understand how important “right to repair” is.

Though probably isn’t going to help fix an old Remington.

I too remember ‘Victor Kiam’, though I’ve no idea if he was real and CBA to google. :stuck_out_tongue:

I had a Remington for a short while - used to give the most amazing razor burn and also wear through the foils rapidly, even if lubricated. Replaced with a Braun ‘Cruzer’ in 2006 that still gives 4-5 days cutting on a charge, although unfortuately it’s somewhat falling apart now. That was replaced with another Braun that’s a piece of junk - low quality cutters go blunt in 6 weeks and fall apart in the hand.

At some stage I’ll probably try a Panasonic.

My Panasonic is over 20 years old and still going strong. Minimal maintenance but regular lubrication seems to keep it happy.

1 Like

Thanks all, I’ve ordered it. I doubt whether Fran bought the Baby Bliss, never known her to shave anything, if it isn’t a blank in my memory I think it most likely to have been left by an overnight visitor but that would have been many years ago. I suppose I moved it around in the drawer from time to time without noticing it wasn’t the Remington.

1 Like

Well that’s strange because the equal opportunity legislation came in in 1974 but the height requirement in policing only went out in 1990 or so so it would have been a while before there were any 5 foot nothing female officers around
Perhaps the big strong boys just didn’t like having females around

3 Likes

There were, and no doubt still are, many excellent female officers whom it was a pleasure to work alongside. However, from a practical viewpoint, I can attest that in any public order situation (from a cordon line to a pub fight) the majority of female officers are more of a liability to their male colleagues than an asset.
There are of course exceptions, such as a couple of female officers I knew who were weight lifting body builders who could pack one hell of a punch.
However, and for the most part, the presence of female officers in a situation that requires physical strength results in the male officers being distracted from the task in hand by their natural desire to protect their female colleagues.

In any broad based workforce there will be different sections of that workforce with different skill sets, and thus it is appropriate to create some form of differentiating classification. When the organisation concerned has a centralised control room responsible for allocating resources in the most efficient manner, then it helps a great deal if the controllers can have some idea of the capabilites of the resources they are deploying.
“There’s a big fight in the street” send the ‘big strong boys’ to use your reference.
“My daughter has been raped” send a WPC.
Just a matter of horses for courses really. The removal of the W designation in front of the PC was not only a daft idea, but it resulted in a loss of efficiency of the organisation.

1 Like

I obviously don’t agree, but if you want to hang onto your outdated beliefs carry on

Some men are highly empathic, some women could knock you out with a single blow. Enforcing gender stereotypes will not maximise efficiency.

1 Like

If it’s any comfort, I am a retired IT engineer and trainer, who has been using computers since the early 1970s and the internet since it was created, and I am similarly frustrated by current tech. Chinglish instructions prompt me to send back goods I can’t be bothered to persevere with. When I do seek help online I usually start my question with “please do not reply unless you have already solved this problem yourself” hoping that 16 year-old geniuses without a clue will not bother to reply without ready my query or advising me to do something I tried a fortnight ago (as stated in my question) or to take risks I would never recommend anyone else to take.

During a recent trip to the UK I realised I had left my mobile phone on the dining table in France. This meant I was unable to buy anything online as all sites now need to send a code to the phone for me to enter on their web page before they will let me pay, and of course card payments require a similar code from my banking app. Fortunately I had a spare mobile in England, and had a replacement SIM sent to me by Three, so we were soon back in business. Incidentally, I “found” my phone by logging in to a security camera in France, ringing the phone, and hearing it via the camera’s microphone. All this to let me buy some clothes from M&S which weren’t stocked in their branches.

I do feel for people who don’t have a background in solving IT problems and who may not see any point in persevering. I have feared for some time that we will spend our final years staring at a wall because the internet is down, the Smart TV doesn’t work, I can’t remember how to get my smart watch to tell me the time, and the smart fridge won’t let me open the door

3 Likes

I am not really bothered about the rest but I will never buy a smart fridge now :wink::yum::grin:

4 Likes

Happily, I don’t even know what one is. :rofl:

3 Likes