Importing An Older Toyota into France: Is it even possible to legalize it? (Homologation, etc.)

Different EU countries have quite different car buying and use habits from each other and this affects the secondhand market. The French tend to keep cars for a reasonably long period and many second hand cars seem expensive compared to the UK where the trend is to have new cars and to change them after about two years. The UK system means that there is a large choice of reasonably new secondhand cars and prices are lower, simple supply and demand. With the current trend to lease not buy new cars the UK secondhand market place is even larger than before. Many British expats are prepared to travel back to the UK to pick up a secondhand bargain despite having to change the headlights and put up with having the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car. If I was looking to buy a secondhand car I might look at the German market where there would be a better choice of the sort of cars that would interest me at competitive prices but at the end of the day would probably buy locally to establish a link with a local company and have them close by should there be any warranty problems.

1 Like

A lovely area Roland and I have visited it often. I live in department 36 but I am sure that if you asked around you would find other garages offering this service. I can always pm you with the name of my chap who imports some great cars including a super range of Isuzu trucks. He travels to Belgium often, and is on the ‘insurance list’ for dealing with breakdowns of Porches and other top range models, yes they do breakdown ! I am sure delivery would be no problem, he is ‘up front’ honest and if needed he speaks English too ! Let me know, nothing ventured, nothing gained ! :slight_smile:

My Mini Cooper was built in England, sold in California, and eventually imported to France. It has obtained a ‘Certificate of Conformity’, illustrating that cars built for the American market can be legalized in France. My original question was how I could find out whether my old Toyota would quality in the same way as my Mini. I would prefer to find out the answer definitively before importing it. If there is some black/white criteria that would prevent my vehicle from become legal, I would like to know what that is before giving up based on assumptions. At this point I am querying Toyota of USA and Toyota of France to help me out, since the DREAL has not agreed to respond to my question. I am surprised the information I am seeking is so hard to find or to corroborate.

L’impolitesse est l’imitation de force d’une personne faible.
–Inconnu

Why ask for advice if you are not prepared to listen to it? Comparing a German car built in the UK for the American market and a Japanese vehicle built for the American market is chalk and cheese. Have a look at you Mini’s glass and headlights, are they marked EC. Those on your Toyota will not be. To register the car in France you will need the EC marking.
I’ve given my advice and have no need to comment further on this thread.

Sounds great, thank you Ann.

L’impolitesse est l’imitation de force d’une personne faible.
–Inconnu

Well, that’s good advice David.
Thank you.

DREAL need to physically see the car in order to check it. Cars built for sale in markets outside of Europe have different specs. The USA market requires different levels of emissions, lighting, noise,etc. Seat belts may need changing & as David says such things as glass & lights. Emissions are controlled by the vehicles central processor (CPU) as well as what is in the exhaust pipe so may well need replacing too.
The CT inspection just covers a car’s road safety aspect such as working seat belts but not the breaking strain of the material used. That is where DREAL come in & they need to see the numbers on the parts. They will thoroughly inspect the car & make you change any parts to euro spec ones.
If you look around there are plenty of french vehicles which have not been thrashed (pedal to the metal) & good examples can be easily found. My Volvo V70 has covered over 500,000 kms of which 400,000 was done by the previous owner & still passes the CT. If any part is badly worn it would fail.
A Tacoma is a Hilux in Europe.

2 Likes

Hi Roland

We’ve all offered our thoughts… but at the end of the day, it is up to you to decide what to do. If you really want to give it a try… bring the vehicle over… what have you got to lose except money and time…and you might gain a few grey hairs into the bargain… :wink:

You may strike lucky… or you may end up like so many folk… stuck with a vehicle they cannot use.

I do know of one American couple… drove their US vehicle for as long as they legally could, but found they could not “register” it, so they then traded-it-in here in France for a vehicle of their choice with all the paperwork done and dusted for them.

Neither they nor I have any idea what the garage did with the US vehicle…but, it appears that everyone was happy with the deal.

1 Like

I used CertifAuto. Paid them €350 and received nothing in support. Never heard another word. The system here does not help importation. If you have a friend in UK get them to import it and register it. This will involve a conformity test but the DVSA will try and help you. Then with european registration you can import to France much easier. Forget importing direct to France

1 Like

Can you supply contact details for your garage? I’m going to need to replace my car soon and really resent having to pay the high prices for used cars in France. I got my present one in the UK but it was a hassle and of course is RHD.

Hello Harriet
My chap does good deals on new cars from Belgium, his used cars go quickly !

I have picked up these links from other SF members via another post. Take a look on here at the topic’ Keeping Car in France’. Check it out as there are garages in the UK who appear to have LHD French registered cars.

http://www.lhdplace.co.uk/car-list/U/Left-Hand-Drive-Cars-In-Stock.aspx

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/services/car-dealers/uk/south-east/buckinghamshire/chesham/chesham-left-hand-drive-centre-chesham-dpp-11556