Installing a pond in your back garden,

just wondering if any one has done this, what is the procedure for doing it do you need permission from the marie or can it be done with no paperwork. i know swimming pools require certain permission.

the pond would be about 7m x 5m, and in a figure of eight.

hope some one has some knowledge.

There is another thread which touches on this but suffice to say that, as far as I am aware, permission is not needed and the safety rules regarding swimming pools do not apply.

Based on that assumption I dug 3 ponds in my garden, originally all connected, some 18 odd years ago, the highest, and largest one, is in the shade of the surrounding forest. This is the one I use for swimming throughout the year and is 7 metres long and about 3 metres wide but, as it was dug out of solid rock, the shape of the width and depth (about 2 metres) is variable.

Edit: This is the other thread:

10 -100 sq metres needs a DP now

yep… a lovely cottage with “pond” had a hiccup at sale time… the pond was “unknown/unlisted”… shock horror…

We had to have the human Water Rats onsite, checking everything imaginable… before it got the thumbs up… and an official piece of paper.

I was only the translator so it was simply interesting for me… for my pals, the sellers, it was very, very worrying.

I would check at the Mairie, what the local regs say… best to follow the gently, gently route… just in case.

(my own thoughts on pondmaking have been discussed and ok’d as it will be the size of a couple of washingup bowls… :wink: ) but they are worried about mozzies…

Let’s hope it is not retrospective then. But if you are right, and I could only find a regulation for swimming pools not ponds, do you know when the law came in?

I built a shed some years ago in ignorance (I realised later it was too large) but under the watchful eye of a friend and neighbour who is also a local councillor, and nothing was said. This same friend also, when mushrooming just beyond my fence, saw the construction and completion of my pond as well. Again no mention made of rules or regulations. :grinning:

If its a reservoir etang rather than a pond, would it be acceptable now as my french neighbour dug his several years ago.

Whatever you like to call it… you still would be best to check with your Mairie first. :wink:

Curious, what is the difference?

My neighbour said you can have a resevoir up to 100m3 so pompiers etc can use it should the need arise if there is no hydrant nearby. Of course being born in the village he knows everyone and gets away with all sorts but it used to be an allowable thing, no idea if it still is. Whereas a decorative pond probably comes under some rule or other.

1 Like

I’m with your neighbour, my pond is 42 cubic metres give or take a rocky outcrop, so that will do me fine. :joy:

And the Pompiers wouldn’t have to pump it, its base is above the highest point of the house. :smiley: