Insulating internal walls

Hi Saski, one other factor for us is that I don't want the chalky finish where it comes off on your hand, otherwise the kids would be constantly covered in it. Here are some of the sites I've looked at for Eco materials:

materiaux verts

N 21

ecolodeve

I think Tollens do a breathable paint.

Hi Suzanne

I have been researching Chalk and Lime based paints at the moment due to our house being renovated and wanting to be sympathetic to the work we do. There are lots of company's in England which do fantastic organic lime paints but now the more we research, we are finding more chalk/lime based paints here in France too. I was surprised to see that even Leroy Merlin have a chalk paint, not looked to much into their product yet so don't know how good the quality is. Unfortunately I am yet to see a cheap chalk/lime paint but I guess you get what you pay for. On the other hand it should, if done well, be cheaper in the long run.

I will keep you posted on any paints we choose.

Sask.

chaux chanvre

What is hemp lime plaster in French please ?

Lloyd, I was the original poster on this and I am pleased to tell you we are going ahead with the hemp and lime being projected onto the walls by machine. We've been using the term 'Thermal Correction' for the heat/cooling effect of the lime/hemp depending on the season which is important as we live in a hot Summer area (Herault) where many rely on electric cooling to maintain a comfortable temperature. We're keeping our fingers crossed that a combination of hemp lime insulation, double flux VMC on Summer bypass coupled with a Puit Canadien and volets will keep the house cool. Of course I will share all this with SFN on my blog.

We will be putting 8cm chaux chanvre on the walls once the windows have been installed next year, then a coat of lime plaster followed by a fine finishing lime plaster and breathable paint. (I have yet to source the breathable paint...recommendations please anyone - cost is important as the budget is already stretched!).

We are also using Chanvribloc hemp blocks for building our internal walls which not only provide good insulation between cold and warm rooms i.e. Plant room and sitting room but also acoustically they are also excellent.Chanvribloc

I will do an update on my blog this week with the current state of the project as we have moved on a lot since my last post!

I'd be interested to know more about your renovation services. Can you post some links, or can you send me a friend request?

I wish!