Internet. Again

The box is pretty good - it’s sitting downstairs and I’m in the attic and still get signal. My Bouygues Telecom DSL box can barely get to the next room. The SFR box also comes with 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz WiFi bands and access points - the 5Ghz one will go through just about any wall without too many issues :slight_smile:

I venture that wireless printing will work fine as long as the printer obviously is hooked to the WiFi as well :slight_smile:

He does! Unfortunately, SFR does not have any options for 200Gb+ - once you hit 200Gb you’re going to be throttled in speed to something that will let you send and receive emails, but not much more. However, I’ve never managed to hit 200Gb. Then again we use it mostly to stream tv shows and movies, on a daily basis, so I think it should work out.

That’s why I do have the Bouygues DSL (with unlimited option) because work wise I need to sometimes upload/download ridiculously large files, and I need working internet at all times :smiley:

But for average home use it should be fine.

1 Like

Cheers Ben ,:+1:

Even if the old phone line hasn’t been used in 10 years the line is still physically there and Orange should be able to identify it with your address,. If you know the old number or can find it from a neighbour all the better. Either way you can then get a new number and an ADSL line. My personal experience says I’d go with Orange until all is working and later consider a cheaper alternative such as FREE but never would I go with SFR.
Enjoy France :hugs: I’ve been here since 1969 but don’t worry I’ve not gone native :joy:

1 Like

Bouyges 4g is brilliant.

1 Like

I know - they make me shake! :dizzy_face:

Checking with neighbours who have Orange plans via a landline, the speeds do seem slow - and prices high. And cell signals allegedly iffy too. A bummer as these boxes sound like the biz. Clearly I have to wait until I stride into the new abode and see if the cell works. I might end up going retro and using dial-up…

But David, just do the online eligibility tests using either your address or a neighbours phone number…

1 Like

Hi Simon - We have a 4G box on it’s way from Free and we will fit it when we get down to the house at the end of March, but I am interested in your comment about ‘those portable phone things’.

Would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction of them please? Something else I need to get my head around…

Ta muchly!!!

A bit of an edit… Your reference to portable phone things - you are referring to mobiles??? If so, fair do’s and I will retreat back under my rock…

Hi Carl - not sure what you’ve ordered from Free but they don’t offer a pure 4G Box / router !?!? (Unless you know otherwise of course!)

Apologies - the comment about portable phone things was my attempt at humour / sarcasm! I was indeed referring to mobile phones. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ha ha!!! No worries Simon…no apologies needed friend :laughing:

You can tell I have no idea about modern tech in this regard - The Freebox we have ordered is 4K not 4G. I have absolutely no clue what it means anyway :dizzy_face:

With regard to the phones - I thought they were some fancy new gadget that connected to the landline without a physical connection… Shows how much I know!!!

1 Like

Carl no problem! :wink:

Simply put - 4K refers to video quality (in your case for the TV facility of your Freebox) and 4G to the mobile internet network speed / quality

1 Like

Interesting posts. I’ve been trying to determine what to do about internet access since we bought our house in the Charente-Maritime. At the time, the only non-ADSL option was satellite through NordNet. The system works pretty well-- max 20 mbps download and 7-8 mbps upload, The sppeds, however, are very inconsistent and my biggest complaint is the cost, since you only get 15 GBs per month, but you can get an additional 15 GBs for around 20 euros. It is very easy to go through 20 GBs, even if you are not streaming. Recently, the Bouygues test site says we are eligible for 4G, which is strange since 4G never shows up on our iPhones. So, my question is does the lack of 4G availability on my iPhone 7 mean that we do not have 4G internet capability? Can the 4G signal be boosted in some way. I have seen 4G boosters online, but they seemed to be for phone service. I would love to change from NordNet due to the expense and service issues. Any information or advice would be great. Thanks.

Well…if the the Bouygues site says you’re eligible for their 4G Box then you are - min 200GB per month!

Your iPhone will only show a Bouygues 4G signal if you have a Bouygues, or one of their UK partners’ SIM cards - or indeed a SIM card of any operator providing coverage near your house.

But what you can do is a network search on your phone and it will list all the available networks where you are standing. That doesn’t mean you can access all the networks listed - that will depend on the eligibility of your SIM card. Or just look at each operators website for their coverage maps.

Dead duck unfortunately. There’s not just a weak signal across the cellphone access board where we’re now living…there’s no cellphone signal. Period.

But those nice people at Orange are reactivating a landline that was disconnected in 2005 and are coming round on Monday to set everything up. Impressive, as I only went in to see them yesterday. I have a box ready and waiting…and even a new phone number.

Telecom Italia - read, weep, and eat your collective can’t-do attitude hearts out…