Internet - has anyone moved from Orange to Sosh?

Today is precisely one year since my Orange contract started - I just went onto the Sosh site and clicked on the box to sign up to ‘the offer’ - the site asked for my orange email address and password, which I duly completed and then I’m on the Orange site. And then it keeps taking me back to the Sosh offer page that I originally ‘clicked on’. A little frustrating. as no recognition that I am being changed over. Maybe because my contract started on 28/6/21 and it’s not quite 12 months??? All very strange, as it was all going so well.

Does anyone have any ideas where I’m going wrong???

I think you’ve answered your own question…

I’ll give it another go tomorrow, as can’t believe the Sosh deal is 30% of what I currently pay Orange :scream:

Just managed to transfer my Orange account to a new Sosh service :+1: :+1: I called the Orange helpline to make the transfer which was incredibly simple and straightforward! They couldn’t explain why it wasn’t possible to transfer online, as I’m outside my contract period, except that it may possibly have been that I was trying to take the discounted introductory offer which only applies to folks moving from another provider i.e. not Orange. Anyway, now done and cut my bill by 55% :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

Incredible - change to a lower cost option with the same provider and the speed increases! Just checked my net speed and now getting just over 17 Mbps ADSL versus anywhere between 12-14 Mbps before. Maybe a coincidence, but nevertheless, whatever’s just happened, very pleased :grinning: Does seem a little strange!

1 Like

Does the English Orange helpline arrange the transfer to Sosh? For any issues do you then speak to the English Orange helpline?

If Fibre were to arrive at our address would that also be with Sosh?

Yes, spoke to the Orange helpline after the transfer on the net didn’t work. The helpline person was very very helpful and transferred my account immediately so it was active as of yesterday.

One of the key differences between Sosh and the full Orange service is that for Sosh you deal with them over the net, so no English speaking helpline. Personally, I’m willing to deal with that if the cost is less than half, and my French is by far means not great, but I can get through, with persistence :wink:

I only have ADSL to my place, but on the Sosh site they do offer fibre if it’s available where you are.

And for me, the absolute cherry on the icing is that it is sans engagement, so no ties if for whatever reason you want to switch!

Now waiting eagerly for my expensive mobile contract to end next Jan!

I’m glad it’s working for you.

As I said earlier, I have found Sosh to be far more proactive when faults occur. They’ll typically send me a text to explain the situation - generally before I’m even aware of a problem. Any breakdown in ADSL is immediately countered by an offer of 200Gb of cellular data free to tide me over - this could be because I have ADSL and mobile contracts with Sosh.

1 Like

Thanks - and it was your original posting that led me to Sosh, so will also be trying their mobile service once my contract expires - I just need to somehow check the Orange coverage where I am as I currently have SFR. On the coverage maps it shows Orange ok, but need to do some sort of practical test. :+1:

Can I just check - you can do the entire process on the phone to Orange?

Maybe my French is better than my English :grin:

Yes, just call the Orange English helpline and tell them you want to transfer to Sosh - they made the transfer whilst I was still on the tel. Probably took less than 5 mins. Probably the most painless process I’ve been through here :+1:

2 Likes

Yes, please! But may I ask - from what to what €€€ ?

I pay Orange €36.95 for the most basic ADSL package. Fibre, should it ever be offered in my street in Vire [14] will be no cheaper and unlikely to be a worthwhile improvement for the money.

I will, asap, be cancelling the FR insurance on my camper van, selling it. I want to put that +/- 30€ p/m towards a mutuelle. The 2nd level mute that is the most competitive that @fabien has on his folios is 70€ p/m. To add to the saving on van ins I want to make savings on my i/net service.

A saving of +/- 50% on 37€ would be brill. The overall extra on my cash-flow for the mute would be +/- 20€. I could live with that, I think, esp if I can work out how to control the seemingly permanent ‘ON - MAX’ of my ancient balon.

You can see the regular repeated bursts of +/- 0.8kW. This goes on 24/24. My hot water is dangerously hot. There is no dial or meter on the balon. I do see a tiny slotted screw head that might be the rheostat that Sparks vaguely mentioned but I am leary of fiddling with it.

But to get rid of that constant cycling, which I can only think is the balon, should save a substantial amount.

When the trip to the balon cut out, it took +/- 12 hrs for the water to become lukewarm. So twice a day for an hour at 07:00 and 18:00 would be plenty, for me on me tod. Sparks is due back. I must ask for a timer.

But, back to i/net services. There’s one which @graham has posted as the world’s worst company for c/s. so they’re out. Other than Sosh, any other budget-beaters?

In answer to your question, I was paying 45.99€ pm and now pay 19.99€ pm​:partying_face::partying_face: delighted as it was a totally seamless move.

Re your hot water, I previously had a 200 litre traditional cumulus which stayed on 24/7. Not now! Now I’m here permanently, chucked out the old 200 litre tank and got a smaller ariston velis evo dry tank, set the temperature at 40’c and control on and off with a plug I control over the internet. So I generally just have it on in the evening for a spell, and cut my elec bill massively! And the velis is also meant to handle hard water better so cut on the efficiency losses as well. Very pleased so far.:+1::+1:

1 Like

why do people have hot water tanks? are balanced flue boilers that only heat water when you need it banned in France?

Don’t know about where you are, but nowhere here has mains gas. Yes, you can get bottled gas, or a gas tank, bit it’s expensive. I don’t know anyone who uses gas. We have an electric cumulus, but as we have 4.1Kw of solar, most of our hot water comes direct from excess solar … we have a gizmo that diverts any excess automatically to hot water.

3 Likes

"French environmental regulations mean that from the beginning of 2022 it is effectively impossible to install a gas boiler in a newly built house.

This rule applies to anyone who has made a demand for a permis de construire (building permit) from January 1st 2022 onwards.

For the moment this applies only to new buildings, and not to people doing a renovation project or changing the heating system in their homes."

If only …

This is very interesting.

Agrigaz Vire biomethane-to-grid plant in Normandy goes live | Bioenergy International

… fed into the gas grid. So you already have to be on the gas grid to benefit.

Thanks for that. Very useful info. What was the cost of the Velis installation? If it was simply a swap of old for new and not re-sited somewhere else.

Have you done a calc to work out when the new one paid/will pay for itself? I have to be careful with capital expenditure now. There’s no more where that came from!

Crikey! This looks t.g.t.b.t.! :smiley:

Moved from Orange to SOSH many years ago. It is the exact same service, with Livebox included in the price. Easy to contact customer service but online only. Also now use their mobile service (again same as Orange) but much cheaper, especially if you get one of their special offers.
If you need the English speaking helpline then it is a no go, however with the online chat to SOSH it is very easy to copy and paste the translation (if you need).

2 Likes

I can’t find the bill but remember it was a little over 300€. As for payback period, this will very much depend on how much hot water you use. If you want to understand exactly how much elec you consume with your tank I suggest getting one of those plugs that read energy consumption - that’s what I did and now also use the plug to check various other appliances - amazing what ‘stuff’ consumes elec even when it’s off! I removed the 200 litre tank and installed the new one in its place using the same copper pipe
connections but did install longer flexible connectors. I don’t use that much hot water as only ever take showers, so I went for the 45 litre model. My monthly elec cost is now between 31-34 € per month. Next step will be resourcing an energy efficient fridge.

That’s very good. EDF slapped 80€ p.m. on me when the system was upgraded here and the Linky installed.

I turned the fridge off for 4.5 hrs. If it’s the fridge that’s creating those spikes, I’ll see tomorrow.

That sounds like you did the installation yourself and the Velis was +/- €300. I see an 80L ‘smart controls’ Carrera for €315 and the Velis 80l for €365. Oddly, the Velis 65L is €369! Sales volume, I expect.