Internet install cost?

So the place I am buying (in Nevers) is supposed to have Fiber in the street. Typing in the address on Orange website says they are experiencing technical issues and try again later, typing it in on boutiqueboxinternet (a reseller I guess) says it is available.
Is the install typically the same in France as the US where if you sign a year contract they will run a line to your house or do you have to pay for the entire install out of pocket?
It’s a fair way from the street (maybe 200m ).
I don’t need fiber but it would be nice. DSL or the equivalent would be ok.
I’ve looked at the 4G sim setups and that would be fine as well if I could get unlimited data, which seems to be limited to only one provider right now.
Any suggestions for me?
I want to run an always-on VPN tunnel back to my home in the States where I have fiber and am running pfSense as a firewall. That way I could check security cameras both ways and access anything I need in either location.

I recently moved and subscribed via Orange who were extremely helpful to get us setup (5 star customer service), as opposed to the other companies which were not that interested. Most importantly you need a French bank IBAN, and a EDF bill otherwise you will almost certainly run into a dead end. They give you a 4G box with 200Gb until they install the line (3-4 weeks) and then you need to return it otherwise you will be charged for the router. I have an ADSL/VDSL connection which is 55.1Mb down, 19.8Mb up . So certainly faster than what they call fibre broadband in the UK. Fibre is in the village, but doesn’t extend to my house yet. The 4G router was frustrating since it would disconnect from time to time and had to be restarted. I subscribed via an Orange store, since the website did not recognise my address.
My son runs OpenVPN for me on a raspberry pi in the UK, (powered off and connected to his router) so I have a private VPN service for online TV services.

1 Like

@FireinFrance You may have missed the (lengthy) topic on Bouygues 4G here which outlines the cost and the arrangements for the offer which you may find useful. The Bouygues offer is without engagement and is the only one, I think in France, which is unlimited. Most of the other offerings are ~150 - 200 Go/month and some with a year’s minimum contract which I think is also the case with Fibre.

1 Like

@PeterE Was there an install charge for the physical connection? I’m assuming they had to run a cable to your house? I’m pretty sure there is no phone line to my new place.

@graham I had read that thread a couple weeks ago but I see its been active since so I will reread it.

Hi. No there wasn’t a connection charge. I pay a monthly charge of 36.99 and after 12 months I will switch to their low cost offering, Sosh. The house did have a telephone line already.

I just put in a new Nordnet satalite system. It uses the new launched satellite that replaces the old useless one. Cost 200€ for the kit Inc the TV options. I put it up and tuned it in. You need to be fairly technical to do it. Or there’s an install option for another 200€ comes with a SIM card for phone as well and boatloads of free subscriptions. Speed is excellent. Suffers in the storms a bit

@Guruengineer for completeness, what are the download limits per month and the monthly cost of the abonnement? If you exceed the download limits, will you experience “throttling” which was always an issue with satellite contracts?

Wow! That comes as a surprise to me and will to many others on this forum! Chapeau!

I tried to get Orange fibre in the city of Valencia, Spain. My gestora [fixer] did the phoning.

Orange “No. He has no record with Orange”
Andrea “He has had a mobile a/c with Orange for 3 years”
Orange; “The offer you are asking about does not exist”
Andrea: “It is on every bus shelter in Valencia city”
Orange “Fibre is not available at his address”
Andrea “There is a fibre terminal on the wall outside his front door, with the Orange logo on it. We have photos”

Orange puts the phone down.

Sorry been busy installing a Fosse and filter bed.

Its 39 euro per month No limits on downloads includes phone and lots of access to magazines online. Speed varies a bit on the uplink rather than the downlink. I do a restart about once a fortnight seems to maintain the speed ok.

Yes the old satellite systems that the French government are now refunding, and subsidising wwer a pain we avoided them. We waited for 7 months for the new satellite to become live.