Internet speeds in rural areas

Here in 22 we get by ok

LOL! You must be kidding Chris! True the Ariege temperatures can briefly get up to around 40C at the height of the Summer but we have long Winters down here where temperatures can fall below -15C depending on your altitude.

wow, that is quite impressive. And so is the place where you live :) Probably a bit too warm for all of us but beautiful just the same!

Fabulous here in the Ariege! We have an average ADSL download speed of 18mbps which means we get to take advantage of superb internet TV services - a fraction (and I mean a fraction) of the cost of SKY in the UK. It's made satellite dishes a thing of the past round these parts!

Sorry for replying Chris, i did not know you already had all the answers and a solution to your question.

Hi Julia, I will pass your comments on to our current customers who came running away from Tooway in drones. It really depends on where you are for satellite as well...

As we have not decided on a location as yet, it is really helpful to get all this input as it will greatly decide where we want to go. If it was up to me, I would love to be as far away from technology as possible BUT as it may be our lifeline in regards to work, and to stay in touch with our son, we need it.

We use satellite internet (which you could use in Scotland too!) - Tooway - high speeds, generally reliable except in heavy storms. They offer VOIP phone too. Thoroughly recommend it.

Thanks for the info, Steve! As it turns out, Ozone is only able to offer satellite for both my friend and myself — I think the Wimax coverage is pretty patchy, unfortunately.

cheers Steve

that's interesting too Keith. That would be a terrestrial wireless system then.. Similar to what we ourselves are doing here in Scotland.

That's interesting, Keith, I hadn't heard about that; so ii it Wi-fiMax then? If so, does it have its own network — or does it run on the 3G mobile phone network? I'd be interested to find out more about this, as it might be a solution both for my friend, and potentially for me if I move as I'm considering doing.

OZONE does offer Wimax but only in selected areas, for my locality they only have ADSL available.

https://www.ozone.net/ozone-pres-de-chez-vous

I am in the Cher (18) - next to the border with the Allier (3) & Nievre (58) I am 7 kms from the exchange and connection WAS diabolical until I was introduced to OZONE. Despite what people have intimated it is NOT a satellite system but works on 'radio' waves that are picked up via a small receiver on the roof. It has one drawback and that is that your answer machine is your computer. Other that that it is brilliant.

Hope this helps

if you are in remote country France only tooway * will give you a change to work efficiently if you still need to work. If not, well just leave cyberspace and come back to earth ;-) There is so much talk about speed and security and in fact what you need is secure privacy to transmit you business correspondence and this is possible everywhere in France.

* if you really need 10+ Mbit/s get dish and receiver directly in Cambridge do get it in France, they don't get this right because there is a French company who wants to enter the market once their contract with the MoD is running out on this product....

We too are in a similar position in 32, less than 1Km from the exchange an 22mb connection speed

That is all very interesting John. And by "Rural France" .. I obviously meant, away from big cities and towns.

I am not terribly interested in Netflix or the likes but having a good functioning Skype is a lot more important.

Once we have a few houses in mind, we will certainly check via all the above suggestions to get the clearest picture possible and to avoid the unpleasant surprises as much as we can.

Thank you!

Byron, Oakla speeds are reliable as long as you always ping to the same location AND use a wired connection for your speed tests. Speeds can be affected by anything wireless being used in the vicinity (remote controls, microwave ovens, radio, etc. etc. etc.)

But by far the best speed test available, I agree :) We use it too!

Tony, I know allllll about that. We have fibre running in front of our house.. but no way we can tap into that potential.

Thanks Sarah :)

Hi Liz, have tried to send you a message :)