Internet speeds in rural areas

Thanks Steve. We did not need to do that here although we recently became a member of Ripe and as such can operate as an ISP. Will need to dig a bit deeper into this.

Thanks Steve :) Will save that link. We don't know yet who our neighbours will be but once we know which area we will be landing in, I will most certainly check it out.

If you can find out the Tel N° of your nearest neighbour, this site will tell what offers are available for his address http://www.degrouptest.com/

One problem they had was that they had to become registered as an ISP which took a while. I just checked and the association doesn't seem to exist any more. A great scheme whilst it lasted.

The weakest point was the cable they used as the backbone which fell/falls over on a regular basis.

That's positive Teresa! We are hoping to move to the Drome area.. and have seen that Montelimar has 100Mb.. but the villages but I am trying to get my head around all the different types of provision as well as figuring out the options.

Thank YOU!

Interesting Steve. We are providing a wireless service here as it was the only way we could connect most of our customers who literally lived in the woods. Not sure if not-for profit community projects are possible in France. I heard that there is some government funding available for alternative ways to get broadband to rural locations.

Hi Michael, it has not stopped us from moving into a rural area in Scotland and instead of complaining about it, we did something about it. :) Could start this all over again in France.

We are in the 37 and get almost 2mbps........ providing that nobody else is on line. We are the last property on the run from the exchange and when everybody else is using their broadband it hits us hard. Could be worse though, shall count our blessings.

we're in northern provence, outside vaison la romain - a smallish town. population is 6000 and up to 40,000 in summer...

they are just about to get fibre - we're 6km away and get 2mbps in our small village. our landline and mobile coverage is great though!

we lived in the Tarn before - in a similar situation, the speed in town wasn't bad, but in the villages was dreadful or sometimes satellite only

be very very careful where you move to if it's important to you

x teresa

It will depend on the region you go to. Whilst FT were saying that our village would never have ADSL 8/10 years ago, the Rhone Département brought in a WiFi system that linked outlying properties to the village where there was a cable connection. IN all I think they covered 15/20 villages in a similar way. The service lasted about 4 years till FT gave in and introduced ADSL.

Everywhere is supposed to get at least 2G or 3G mobile coverage by 2017. Until then, if you don't have ADSL then satelite is the only option.

Avoid most of rural france unless you don't mind paying for satellite broadband connection, we are only 1km from a medium size town and our broadband was crap and now we are seriously thinking of getting rid of our landline you just cannot have a conversation due to the crackling on the line and according to france telecom there are no plans to upgrade the line for years to come.