Introduce yourselves!

Haha, no problem. All the groups are found under the "social" tab at the top of the page.

Sorry Shelia must be my eye sight lol I will certainly check on the links thanks

Or Sheila even? :-) Don't forget to check out all the groups here on SFN, and also the Useful Links - top of the page, third tab in from the left.

Thank Sharon should find some useful information on here I expect

Hi Joel, and welcome to SFN.

Hi Sally and welcome to SFN.

Hi All

I live just outside Dax in Landes been here now three years since retiring Helping my Mother breeding Boxers which she has done now for nearly 30 years over here Up to recently we had a Gite but the tourists have all but gone or atleast the market has changed so its not viable anymore

Love France but hate the Administation which is a pain as I am sure we all know Been coming to the region for over 50 years as my Mother is French and local

Having just signed up I now hope I am writing this intro bit in the correct place!
Feel like I am cheating a bit because we donā€™t actually live in France, just have a lovely little hideaway in the Vendeeā€¦we have had it for about 12 yearsā€¦I try not to have too much of my head and heart in France as it is wishing my life awayā€¦but it is difficult! I dream of my lavenders, roses and geraniums and never cease to be surprised that they keep thriving even though I am away from them for months at a time! Looking forward to being part of this forum.

Excellent Jane!

Hi Shirley, perhaps they are wearing burkhas against a black background?

Hi Joel, isn't it just! OH says that the whilst the French are inefficient, their jobs are safe. All takes ages, so they'll remain in their public posts that bit longer lol. You have to laugh or you'd lose the plot ;) Ps. My birth was said to be forged. It was old and creased, but come on lol....

Hi Everyone,

Weā€™ve been following the group here and on Facebook since we moved to the South of France, but weā€™ve not managed to sit down and introduce ourselves properly.

We bought our property in September of 2014 and after a year of renovating, we opened our House as a Chambres dā€™HĆ“te just before winter season 2015 / 16. Weā€™re now based permanently in BagnĆØres-de-Luchon and are absolutely loving life here in France. The locals have been very friendly and helpful and weā€™re looking forward to this summer.

You can find us at www.thefreerangechalet.com if you have the time, but otherwise we just wanted to say thanks for all of the great advice to be found on here.

Regards,
Geoff & Victoria

2 Likes

Hi Everyone,

We moved to Correze a year ago and Iā€™ve been lurking and following the facebook group.

We run a IT hosting/consultancy business over the internet with UK clients but we will be looking to start a business here soon so i can earn euros.

We bought a small holding and have been deliberating for a year about tractors. Finally we appear to be close to choosing one. Itā€™s a bit like when we were searching for the house. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Martin_Cooper is :slight_smile:

Please can we have your real name!

2 Likes

:saxophone: ?

Hi There,
Iā€™m not really ā€˜newā€™ but signed on a few years ago. I have been wanting to move to France for the last 6/7 years but stopped logging on when I realised it might be a while before I could make the move. The advent of grandchildren and an aging mother temporarily put paid to my plans. Last year I remarried, my mother died peacefully and fairly quickly after 95 years on the planet so now I am actively planning my move. First stop is 3 months at Alliance Francaise to improve my battered school girl french. I wonā€™t feel independent and capable until I have enough french to deal with much of daily life and I want to be able to integrate well with french neighbours. Iā€™ve read ā€œ60 million frenchmen canā€™t be wrongā€ - its at least a starting point to understanding the differences between anglo saxon and french perspectives. Brexit has emphasised my desire to move - I feel I donā€™t really have much in common with my age group here in the UK. I recognise I will find echoes of that xenophobia in France too but I get an impression that the France at least sees itself as part of a bigger whole. I was born in Germany (BAOR) with a German grandmother and have links to my German relatives so I feel european.
As for me - Iā€™m 68 years old, retired teacher with three grown children and three grand children. I enjoyed many years of french holidays, I sent all three children to France for 6 months as part of a cultural exchange group when they were around 10 years old - so many moons ago! They came home speaking fluent (though somewhat ungrammatical french ) and continued holidaying with their french families throughout their teens. The eldest was an au pair for 8 months after university and so now is still fluent - the boys Iā€™m not so sure.
Iā€™m planning to move to southern France - at altitude and a smallish town with basic facilities. Iā€™m still searching - its when looking for places to live I started realising just how big France is. Once I find an area I like the feel of, I intend to rent for at least 3 months to be sure its where and what I want. Hubby has lived in only 2 houses in the last 40 odd years - Iā€™m a wanderer never having spent more that 10 years in a house.Its important to him that where we end up is where we will stay.
I would put up a photo but I cant quite understand how the site works - perhaps a moderator will explain how to do that??

3 Likes

Click on your blue J current avatar, then prefrences, on that page you will see a pencil icon next to you avatar, click that :slight_smile:

Found it ā€¦thanks.

1 Like

Lovely post, Jackie.

Like you, Have German family as well ( mutter was German) and have a similar open European attitude as yourself.

Keep us updated on your ā€˜journeyā€™ to France.

Cheers

Martin

1 Like