Is it always necessary to give your S1 form to CPAM?

Just to be clear EHIC cards are not issued by France, it is called a CEAM card.
6 months ago my wife acquired an S1 after being in the french system for 15 years. The change was painless and carte Vitale continues to function but with a revised status with S1. We then applied for EHIC and GHIC cards from UK which arrived 3 weeks later. I cannot have an S1 as France was the last place I worked nor can I have EHIC or GHIC, I have a CEAM card.

1 Like

Yes, you are right, the EHIC equivalent issued by the French is called a “Carte Européee d’assurance Maladie” - just looked at ours and that is what we have.

Can I ask, JohnBoy, if your wife has an S1 and you don’t, does she get the exemption from prélèvements sociaux and not you? Or do you both qualify, or both not qualify? Hope you don’t mind me asking.

I have been self-employed in France, so am wondering in fact whether I will get an S1 or not? On researching on the internet, I seem to think if one partner does not possess an S1 in their own right, then no exemptions are applied across the board. Do you think this is the case or not? I appreciate any information you can put forward on this subject!

My best answer is that my wife gets the exemption and I dont although that remains to be proven this year. We challenged not being exempt last year and was told that because the S1 was dated during 2021 no exemption was avialable so with that thinking it should be for tax year 2022. We shall see.