Is it common to be refused a rental because you aren't French?

Isn't freedom of movement a wonderful thing about the EU.

In the short term get a place using airbnb. When you are in with things are easier to resolve

Hi

Yes, in France only French docs etc works. I experienced this the first time, when I had just arrived and my Danish bank was willing to deliver all docs and guaranties, but it was a Danish bank, so no no! In France, only French is accepted.

Have they not offered you the usual French alternative to their unwillingness to accept anything that is not French? Money! 12 - 18 months rent paid ahead or ... ? They love money :) I did this the first time; it's risky, 'cause you may lose some, but if the alternative is being homeless ...

I don't know. It was 2007 so maybe things were a little different then.

Until our house sells we cannot afford a lump sum, we have a very keen buyer but they haven’t sold their property. The area we are looking in is populated by a lot of people who commute to Lux. I guess we will start looking for a short term let, then deal with property hunting when we have moved. Did not expect this, we gave them his permanent contract, he has worked for the same company for 6 years. I knew they liked their bureaucracy but did not expect it to stop us from renting a house.

We got around all these problems by paying the rent upfront. We were lucky enough to have sufficient funds to be able to afford to pay a years rent in advance. I expect this is wholly unadvisable and some people will throw their hands up in horror but it was the only way we could see of renting when we first came here.

His work will act as guarantor but apparently the property owner only wants tenants backed by their insurance. Really upset as the house and location were perfect and could see us living there for at least a couple of years.

We are in Scotland currently, husband has taken an internal transfer to Lux, including a pay rise. 60000 euro salary and we were wanting to rent near sierck les bains in Moselle region for just over 1000 euro. My Dad was happy to act as guarantor but he is also in Scotland. They want a French guarantor but we don’t have anyone who could do that for us. The estate agent couldn’t give any good reason why the insurance said no other than we aren’t living in France, but we can’t move without somewhere to live.