Is it time for the Queen to retire?

I am a complete Royalist. There will be no other like her but I wouldn’t be in too much of a hurry for later generations to take over.

She has also suffered the loss of her husband very recently and this would set anyone back at any age.

5 Likes

As Stella says, interesting to see all the differing views. :wink:

I suppose the the flip answer is how do you retire when you’ve never had a job😀

1 Like

The Queen can not retire. She made a promise to God and the people at her coronation to serve the country during her lifetime.

2 Likes

Well that could be interpreted to mean that the best way to serve Her and her country was to handover to someone who is younger and fitter, could it not?

2 Likes

Interesting that the 2 antipodeans on the site are practically the only ones admitting to be royalist !!!

1 Like

The monarchy is a bit of an outdated institution but probably does no harm.

However our antiquated upper house and the mechanism of appointment to it is no longer fit for (any) purpose - it should go.

In which case the monarchy pretty much needs to go along with it.

1 Like

I just didn’t see any need to enter the discussion. :grin:

Come on fess up are you an Antipodean too? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t know if I’m a Royalist or not - though I prefer the British system to having a (political) President - because I’ve only lived as a subject of one Queen.

I admit to admiring her greatly.

If her son does 1/10 of as good a job as she has, I’ll be content.

2 Likes

But the big question is ….
What on earth has this got do with “Surviving in France” ??

3 Likes

Regardless of your political stand point, I think we’ll all find that The Queen will be ‘retiring’ in the next few weeks…

Good point, well made. I’m here to find out how to survive in France as I move there next year…

I think there are 2 answers to this question…

First, and most importantly, within the bounds of mutual respect and etiquette, the site is pretty open and democratic - anybody can start a thread on anything. If the members don’t find it relevant it will quickly sink into oblivion - but there are no arbiters other than ourselves collectively of relevance to life in France.

But the second is more interesting. From time to time people looking only for practical advice complain about discussions of politics, etc - but anglophones surviving, or rather thriving in France is actually more about grasping cultural than practical differences - such as the differences between royalists and republicans. The 17th-century English revolution - or revolutions if you count 1688 - were well and truly buried by later re-mythologising of the monarchy, but the French revolutions of the 18th-19th centuries are still shaping influences of life in France.

2 Likes

When you said basically the same thing back in March on another topic…

…various people explained that while most topics are in fact about moving to and living in France there are also general discussion threads not strictly to do with moving to and living in France which are highlighted as such as you can see using the example of this thread…

…as, well, life, and this forum may be pretty boring if all anyone ever spoke about was coming to France, and there would probably be less to say. As living breathing human beings with lives and thoughts and interests it doesn’t seem out of the question for people to discuss other things as long as it is signposted as such, this is a discussion forum after all, not a strictly factual reference text.

9 Likes

For some of us this is the only anglophone contact we have…so a small dose of language humour and culture is actually part of Surviving France. I could manage without it, but a nice addition to the day.

Anyway many of our French friends are ardent royalists and don’t wish the discuss the demise of the Royal house of Windsor.

1 Like

After toughing it out for years since making my home here with no one else Anglo (and particularly British) nearby, finding Survive France one day whilst looking to understand the latest turn in French bureaucracy, has come as a relief. I’ve discovered I’m both more and less British than I thought I was.

2 Likes

And as there has been nothing in the press for 48 hours she is probably already dead!

Surprisingly she’s been spotted driving near the Windsor Estate today according to the BBC.

We all remember those photos of Philip in the back of the car leaving hospital looking rather… ‘post living’… :zipper_mouth_face::man_zombie: :laughing:

1 Like