Is there a French 'Advocate' Service?

Thanks again, Rosie - it's a really good site!

It stands for Accueil des Villes Francaises - in other words help in French towns.

I think this is the link Ron

http://www.avf.asso.fr/fr/

Newcomer Service Accueil des villes Francaises

Wow...what great info! What does AVF stand for though, please?

I'd never heard of AVF - thank you.

I think the conversation sort of developed from my needs into that of others, so it might be a bit misleading. I can, for the most part, muddle through with the language and I'm a lot, lot better than when I first came. It was that my experience(s) made me think there was a gap to be filled for people who were struggling and didn't have direct contact with a fluent French speaker. Many problems rather than escalating could be resolved and thus minimise the stress factor for those needing it.

Had I had such access when I first came then I wouldn't have experienced many of the problems I have.

For all people talk about learning languages (not speaking about you directly Rosie) there is a learning curve. No one starts to learn a language and becomes fluent immediately - obviously. Although to hear some people talk you'd think they were interpreting at the UN after their first lesson. So, that's where the gap is. Plus, you are sometimes not in a position (thinking about the hospital case over the page) to reach for a dictionary!

Anyway, I just wish I'd got a little portable Google Translate wherever I went - it helps so much with pronunciation!

Hallo Karen,

I have sympathy with the way you feel, but there is perhaps a good solution for you if you want to speak French correctly, and thus you will not feel so bewildered. In all the principal towns in France is an organisation called AVF. It exists for people of all nationalities who have moved into the area. There you can learn practically anything you want, whether it be a class for relaxation like painting or playing chess,walking, salsa dancing and also offers foreign languages. When I first came to France I had forgotten most of my French, and whilst I could speak fluent Spanish, I got terribly muddled with French. In desperation I asked around, and found AVF. I went along and was given a warm welcome. There I found I could have French conversation lessons each week,given by a French person who was a retired teacher. In a year I was fluent and had made many new friends, both English and French who all live near me. There are also get togethers during the Winter months, usually on A Saturday evening, which can be a crepe evening or some simple meal where you take along your knife, fork and spoon and a wine glass and a bottle of wine. The committee cooks the meal, and serves it, and it makes for a super evening, which I always enjoyed. The annual subscription was 12 euros, which makes you a member of AVF and entitles you to learn or partake in all that there is on offer, including my French conversation class.

I may add that now I have accompanied a few English people when they needed to visit Social Security with their problems, or helped them fill up the endless paperwork that France generates !

Perhaps this will give you some help.

Thanks, Brian - two helpful links!

Karen, look at this site: www.yourfrenchmatters.com - this is Laura Morley, fully qualified and bilingual, very efficient and helpful. She may be able to provide what you need. Another is www.askandrewnow.com - this is Andrew Harrison, great on tax matters and general stuff - again he is bilingual and helpfui and efficient. Neither is inordinately expensive but we all have to eat!

Good Luck

The problem is that most people view the world and experience from their own viewpoint. "They'" would always do... etc.

A situation such as this requires empathy - not how you 'would' or 'do' something but the ability to appreciate how you would manage 'if' your situation were different.

It's difficult because people who don't empathise generally speaking give reasons not to do something - or say how they would manage (or know someone who does) but it's not a very productive way of managing problems.

CAB exists also in the UK - about 22,000 volunteers and 6,500 paid staff. I have no idea if anything like that exists here.

Sorry, Catharine I haven't got a pic - I've got pics, just not of me!

It's an ongoing problem at the moment, old camera that won't find the twain driver (although it did) so I can't upload any new pics short of sticking my head on the scanner. Which I think will have a similar effect to photocopying your backside!

Hi Karen

This service might help you in future - I've spoken to John at length and will be definitely tempted to give it a try next time I am in a similar situation. He is a really nice bloke too!

Catharine x

Ps any chance of a profile pic please? Thanks!

An Advocate, even in the UK speaks for those that cannot speak for themselves. In this situation an interpreter would simply interpret correctly what the ex-pat wants to say. Whether that be providing information or answering questions.

An advocate would not give advice or put his/her own 'spin' on things.

I absolutely agree that friends/family, will put their own spin on it and often get specifics or feelings misunderstood - a professional who is simply translating your words in that situation is a much better option in many cases.

Yes the poor old English woman who came to court with the ex-husband was presumably a translator & not an interpreter. At least I hope so because seeing how appalling her spoken French was she presumably took about 10 days, dictionary & grammar-book in hand, to translate a birth certificate.

Actually Andrew, you are absolutely right and I'd got it completely back to front!

In mitigation I did know, but I still got it wrong.

just one thing - we're not talking about translation/translators, we're talking about interpreting/interpreters. Having done one full time for years and the latter (for the CCI when they were desperate, yes it worked well but it doesn't always!) the two are very different and require very different skills - have a look inb your local pages jaunes, Karen, under interprète. Most translators won't or wouldn't be capable of doing full-on interpreting. Helping you out, perhaps, but not professional simultanious interpreting. I hope I haven't typed a load of trip/spelling mistakes but OH is calling me back into the shop and I haven't got time to "proofread" :-O

By the way, Dominique - I never mentioned volunteers, I was talking about paid services if you re-read the above.

Language is about comprehension too.

And I would think that the authorities would require any such service to ensure that all translators were suitably qualified.

I understand that you think people who don't speak the language fluently 'can't be bothered' to learn. That is your opinion and you are, of course, entitled to it.

I was not, if you re-read my post, asking for help in my area - I was asking if there was a national advocacy service. Additionally, since you have no knowledge of the people I have personally come into contact with who claim to be bilingual, then you are not in a position to make comment.

The suggestion that such a service would be helpful was made simply because I believe that it would. It would be a support service, and require translators who have a supportive attitude toward people who do not speak the language fluently. If you were to 'dream' of offering your 'help,' I would hope you would be including your last post to give an accurate reflection of your genuine interest should you ever wish to apply for a position as translator or advocate in future.

Won't say anything in future.

Dear Karen,

Your idea of a charity taking care of people who, I understand, cannot be bothered to learn the local language, is very good. I am sure that volunteers will flock to help, of course one will have to set up rigourous examinations to insure that they are really fluent in both languages.

Perhaps before you started ranting about the poor quality of bilingual people you could have tried asking if there was anybody in your area ready to help and give it a chance.

I certainly would not dream of offering my help as, being French, educated to degree level in France and having lived in English speaking countries for 40 years and done a BSc and MA in England, I unfortunately speak both languages quite poorly.

But not everyone is that lucky, Veronique - to have a 'you' to hand.

I actually walked out of the doctors a couple of months ago because I couldn't explain to him about a blood test result. My fault - I had translated everything else before I went but not that. But it was important.

On the funding side of things - we are in Europe. Look how many organisations are out there to 'help' and 'advise.' And look how much use they are...

Charities are not what they once were - they used to have to raise money by jumble-sales, now it's all grant and match. I'm not saying I agree with it, there are many governmental agencies set up as charities indirectly that are basically just a way to keep people off the unemployment register, but that's the way it is.

It would work, I spent quite a lot of time on Thursday night (got home at 1am) on the telephone organising an ambulance & then going to hospital so someone's kidney-stone could be dealt with properly & they knew what was going on (they got their operation on Friday afternoon). But I didn't need any funding, obviously & luckily it was the school holidays