Is Xenophobia on the rise post Brexit?

UK parliamentary democracy which was supposed to be so important to the Leavers turns out not to be so important when it should really be implemented.

David I burst out laughing when I read your ludicrious comment, "we have been shouted at, shunned, insulted as to intelligence, selfishness, racist biggots, etc" well mate, if the cap fits.......

David it is not about sides! It is not a game of Monopoly!

This Brexit has shown UK to be ridddled with racist inhabitants and they

just have not realised the consiquenses ........ dividening the

country and europe.

Barbara, speaking to our French friends they are very afraid that in next year's election there wil be a win by Marine Le Pen.

Let us hope that this will not happen.

Diana, you are right about the cheese, although I have noticed these days that French cheese doesn't travel as well as it used to or perhaps it's more ripe. However, products from elsewhere in the EU are gradually creeping in. For example, I noticed that French supermarkets sell Belgian, Dutch and German beer (German beer is often cheapest (0.70 ish per 0.5l can). German supermarkets sell French cheese varieties locally made but what has changed most significantly in Germany is that you can get speciality foods from other parts of Germany eg Munich white sausage and and Black Forest smoked ham. I think there will be a more cosmopolitan range from across the EU in future but it is still early days.

I think it is fair to assume that more stupid people voted "leave" than "remain" though Shelly.

Anyway, IMO it's never going to happen. As the UK economy shrinks over the next couple of years and the massive complexities of exiting, renegotiating existing trade deals and establishing new ones dawns on everyone (well, the less stupid ones) a fudge will be developed that looks like Brexit, smells like Brexit but is really remain. It'll be interesting to see how David Davis and Liam Fox are knobbled.

On the contrary, most of our friends (assuming that we voted to REMAIN), express concern for us and for the UK and are genuinely bewildered by the vote. No xenophobioa or hatred at all.

I can't agree with this Barbara....and I think it's an untrue and shocking comment......and an attempt to 'smear' and distort the facts....

People I know who voted Leave, after careful deliberation and fact finding,including myself, love the proximity of Europe, travelling to and spending time there. We value the special character (culture), of and the individuality of each place/country and the people. The Uk sizewise is tiny compared to most other European countries and needs to be able to protect it's borders and take back some control. I am so glad, that we were never part of Schengen and have stuck to our own rules re the current migration crisis.

Recent events in France and Germany only serve to underline this..

Thankyou so much, Hilary, for a reasoned reply lacking the insults and spite of the last few to add their voice! let's all move on from the result, a done deal in the vote and making, and embrace the new and better horizon....not being 'thick', just realistic ;)

The cap definitely doesn't fit me, John, so please abandon the insults. It is not necessary. The referendum was run according to the rules drawn up for it and more voted Leave than Remain. It is done.

I can see no point in continuing with this thread, mud-slinging does not interest me.

Some people did think carefully.....yes but so many others have declared that

they do not like how Cameron looks and decided, because of this they would like a change.

I am sorry that you think that I am shocking!

I feel shocked that foreign people can stab their foreign neighbours in the back metaphorically

speaking. Take all ther 'foreigners' out of UK and look and see who is left to take care of the hospitals, farm labouring and construction work.

What has happened in several countries in the world is a product of insanity which has

been encouraged and developed in the name of religion. In order to protect the borders the

organisation has to come from the top. There clearly have been some imperfections here but

it is a hugely complex situation. We all look at facts and reach different conclusions.

Take a glance at the word racist and re - visit it's meaning.

I have spoken to a lot of people whom I know very well....not through Forums but

personally through the years and sadly there is a problem which shows that people are not

integrating as well as we may hope.

The problem Hilary Jane is that there were many people who did not deliberate carefully and have said that they did not really want to leave.

The Referendum was used as a vehicle to express dissatisfaction with the Establishment and in the same way as a General Election, which it most definitely was not.

Thirty seven per cent voting leave is not a majority.

I would be interested to know....for those of you who voted to leave....are any of you planning

to go back to UK or do you have property there....just wondered.

Unsure what you mean by that cryptic comment, Jane. Yes, UK IS a Parliamentary democracy. Therefore, Parliament is NOT OBLIGED to follow the result of the referendum, which has advisory power only. Not the whole voting population, nor the Prime Minister, nor the Cabinet, can invoke Article 50: ONLY Parliament, by a majority vote.

Plesae, can someone tell me definitively: do I need to have resided in France for 5 full years before I can apply to become a French citizen? If not, then what are the rules?

Yes

As Debra says - Yes.

If MLP gets in, and she may well, then your futures as non EU people living here may become a bit complicated, you may be expected to have a job and/or earn (ie earn not just have assets worth) more than 40,000€ per person a year in order to be allowed to stay. Will this affect you?

Lets hope so Chris.