Israel vows to ‘teach the UN a lesson’

I realise this could be controversial; it would appear, however, to be accurate.

5 Likes

That about sums it up. Hamas is a terrorist organisation and the atrocities they commit, while shocking, should not be a surprise. Israel claims to be a civilised democracy. One can draw one’s own conclusions.

I’m trying not to pick sides - and Hamas is certainly the proximate cause of the current cluster*uck.

But if I did pick a side, I don’t think it would be Israel.

2 Likes

I picked my side many years ago.

1 Like

Yes, whatever about this dreadful conflict, I agree with the UN Secretary General about how the World got here. The Israeli Government knows that true, that’s why they’ve reacted so badly.

2 Likes

I don’t pick sides, especially when one is as bad as the other.
The innocent victims on both sides are the only ones who matter and both sides don’t care a jot about them, expendable as far as both sides are concerned just so they can further their own agendas and needs :confused:

2 Likes

I can’t comprehend why the US would veto a ceasefire. I can’t comprehend why Biden thinks another $14B of arms is going to make anything better, for Gaza, the Palestinians or even the Israelis. I can’t comprehend why all our EU leaders are not jumping up and down and demanding the the blowing up of women and children stops. I can’t comprehend why any parent, any where on the Planet, when they look at the child victims, be they Israeli or Palestinian, doesn’t think of they’re own children and jump up and down for a ceasefire.

7 Likes

This really helps :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

No, I can’t comprehend any of that either :rage:

My retort was in response to a previous comment but I make no apologies. One may well be as bad as the other but I decided years ago which party was the aggresor.

Essentially I am angry that it has been condonned by western society (those that kowtow to the USA at least) for so long.

2 Likes

Now Macron has lost the plot. If there had been an “international coalition” to force the implementation of the two state solution we wouldn’t be in the dreadful situation we’re in. I heard a smart Israeli say a day or so ago, “Hamas isn’t an army, its an ideology. You can’t militarily defeat an ideology, you need to reframe it.” Or words to that effect. Either the Palestinian situation is resolved, preferably not by genocide, or it’ll be Whac-O-Mole on uprisings forever.

I think our EU leadership is really letting us down. I see that a Yougov poll in the UK indicated that 76% of people there want a ceasefire. Yet neither the Government nor the Opposition support one. No nobody is representing the People on this issue.

3 Likes

Or any other issue for that matter.

4 Likes

It is about time that Israel realised that everyone who criticises them is not an anti-semite and that actions have repercussions.
They have had the idea that they are God’s chosen people for far too long and the God in the Old Testament is a vengeful God, which explains a lot.
They are still waiting for their Messiah who will restore Solomon’s Temple.
I think they will be waiting until eternity.

4 Likes

Israel likes to conflate supposed anti-Zionism with anti-Semitism.

I suspect that they are going to be successful in their campaign to irretrievably entangle the two.

5 Likes

We ca see that success already. If something, no matter how wrong, is repeated enough…

Good one.

Didn’t the Ukrainians and the Russians say more or less the same things a couple of years ago when that Malaysian Airlines airliner, full of inmocent passengers and civilian crew was shot down over Ukrainian territory?

Yesterday I woke up to the US not supporting a ceasefire at the UN. This morning it is Germany and Austria not supporting a ceasefire at an EU gathering on the subject last night…

Is there no end to these callous countries. Do they not have a shred of emotion when they look at these children crying for their mums? I tell you, I am I guess way over to the macho side, a petrol head and devoid of empathy, but I kid you not, my tears well up watching the evening news these past days

4 Likes

I think that the appalling actions against the civilian population in Gaza and then accusing their detractors of anti semitism is taking things too far.
You only have to look at the huge demonstrations against the attempts to limit the power of the Supreme Court to believe that this extreme right government is being criticised from within and how can you call the demonstrators anti semite?

2 Likes

A handy way to demonise anyone criticising the Regime. A Regime, which if one looks at the Wiki definition of fascism seems to tick all the boxes.

Fascism (/ˈfæʃɪzəm/ FASH-iz-əm) is a far-right, authoritarian, ultranationalist political ideology and movement,[1][2][3] characterized by a dictatorial leader, centralized autocracy, militarism, forcible suppression of opposition, belief in a natural social hierarchy, subordination of individual interests for the perceived good of the nation or race, and strong regimentation of society and the economy.[2][3]